Reviews tagging Alcoholism

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

fruya's review

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

itscassreads's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

“The most important thing you can do in this world, the most necessary thing, is to survive it. You can't do anything for anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first.”

― Tracy Deonn, Legendborn

// TW: death of a parent, traumatic grief and flashbacks, alcohol consumption, mind control/memory manipulation, racist macro and microaggressions, emesis (vomiting), blood, mild gore, combat violence, mentions of physical abuse, mentions of racist violence, mentions of sexual violence, mentions of plantation.

What a wild ride. This book took me on twists and turns, through centuries of pain and loss and a journey of self discovery and survival. I went into Legendborn thinking I was going to get an epic high fantasy of King Arthur lore and an intricate magic system and I was given that and more. This book took away my expectations and surpassed them by a millennia. The big reasons why I loved this epic start to this series was that it wasn't all dark academia and colourful magic, it was realistic and painful and gave so much more. Bree Matthews is our protagonist and I adored her through all her flaws and actions, she truly resembles a lost 16 year old just trying to take each day at a time after the loss of her beloved mother. Bree really made this book, I enjoyed the other characters but Bree remains a character so life-like I found myself thinking about her for hours after I finished her story.

Without spoiling (because I truly want people to go into this book as blind as I did) these are just some of the reasons to pick this book up:

- complex, badass, intelligent and witty MC
- intense and insanely riveting, action-packed plot from page 1
- real conversations about loss, racism, death and their impacts
- an out of this world magic system
- dark academia vibes
- king arthur lore
- strong family presence
- dark and broody boy(s)

4.5 stars ★

(PS. This is an official Sel fan account, #teamselwyn)

lauraeerika's review

challenging dark emotional funny informative reflective sad tense medium-paced