Reviews tagging Racism

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

carrotguilt's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

rayraytaylorr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring tense medium-paced

There aren't enough words to describe how I feel about this book. This book has everything I want, need and love to have in a story. Firstly, a strong hero, one of the strongest. Bree is a character who can be an inspiration to so many but it brings me immense joy to think about the young Black kids out there who can have this character be their hero. I love the ways that Bree's culture plays a strong part in the storytelling - like the importance Bree's hair plays in her life (taking care of it, responding to how other people react to it), among many other things, subtle and full. In fact, the overall representation in this book brings me to joyful tears. Another thing I love is the way that Bree and Alice's friendship preserves throughout the story - they have their moments of course - but I'm so glad we don't see their friendship forgotten or ending when Bree finds an additional group of friends (I find this happens sometimes when MC's get thrown into a fantasy world). I loved Nick and Sel, our respective sunshine and grump love interests - um but seriously I love Sel and I can't wait to see his walls break down even more. Another aspect to this book that made me fall in love with it was the STAKES. I finished reading a book not that long ago that bored me to death myself so even the slightest tension made me happy but OML- I was unable to breathe, I was shaking and the twists and turns - jaw dropping.

I also really appreciated the way that real life issues were still apart of the fantasy. The way the dealings of racism and Black history, of bigotry as an overall, as well as the grief and struggle that Bree goes through, were part of the heart of the story and were used to limit and advance was important and incredibly well dealt with.

4.5 ⭐️  only because it took a bit to wrap my head around the roles of the Order, the description of demons/enemy moments. But I'm so keen for the 2nd book.

thrntnja's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

rebeccafarren's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

jenc's review against another edition

marieprem08's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

branwen's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

I adored this book. I admit that I was skeptical at first, because of the hype around it, and so often they don't turn out to be as incredible as people claim, but the popularity of this book is so justified.
It is based on Arthurian legends but within a modern setting, and I loved what Deonn did with this folklore. They weren't just the legends re-hashed as we know them, but dealt with and changed in such a unique way that it was like exploring the legends for the first time all over again. There is also a really interesting array of magic systems within the world that also felt very intricate and immersive. And by having a secret society setting, it just added so much more to the atmosphere of the book as well.
The characters are by far one of the greatest strengths of the book. There is a large, diverse cast of characters who all feel well-developed and with distinguishable personalities. I think the author can create a real sense of authenticity in her work, so the diversity or the dynamics and chemistry between characters never feels forced. All of them are interesting and complex, and whilst there is always a few that you just cannot like and you're not supposed to like either, the large majority of them feel real and likeable, because you're given insight into their personalities and the ways in which they work/ think. Bree (the main character) also goes on a particularly incredible journey throughout the book, which is inspiring and emotional, and she gains more character development and depth in one book than some characters gain throughout a whole series. There's also a love triangle, and I cannot explain enough how much I usually despise them... yet this one had me hooked. It's definitely in the early stages of a love triangle, but I love the different dynamics we see between them all and I completely believe in the chemistry that Deonn can create between characters.
Also, as much as there is a mystery being woven and solved, there's a lot of humour as well as emotional depth, which everyone can relate to or enjoy reading in some way.
My only complaint is that the first 100 pages didn't particularly capture my attention, but then after that I was hooked. This book surprised me in so many ways and you get to go on such a journey with the characters (not just the main one) and you can't help but root for them.

hannahh071's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

I really loved reading this novel. It's easy to get into and it is really a page-turner. The diversity of the characters is really good, not only in race, but also sexuality and gender. It has also a powerfull female protagonist, which is something I loved.

mergwenthur's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

holy shit this book is AMAZING

first of all the rep (poc and queer) is SO GOOD. bree is a black woman and the queer rep is casual and amazingly written.

this book was so beautiful and enchanting. it focused on the history of black people on a fantasy based level as well as arthurian legend and bree's own history and family ties.

it usually takes time for my head to wrap around the fantasy world of whichever book I am reading but this was pretty straight forward.

all of the characters apart from perhaps one or two are VERY loveable.

the relationships and dynamics of everyone in the book are very interesting to read and honestly I love them all. i love how some developed over time and the amount of trust and respect they have for one another.

part four had a GRIP on me. i literally couldn't put the book down it was so tense and put me on edge.

I was so upset when it ended but I'm really looking forward to the next book !!

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced