Reviews tagging Vomit

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

lessthelonely's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

Read my review here: lonelylesspage.wordpress.com

This book will become for me what Joker is for straight men and I would say I'm sorry about it but then again, I'd be lying.

Let me see how I can put my thoughts of this book and expectations for what's to come in simple terms and while keeping my composure. First of all, I decided to read this book because BookTok wouldn't shut up about it. I now understand why. Secondly, this book is absolutely filled to the cup's edge with magic, amazing character interactions between amazing characters, character development so sharp and astute I can't even put it into more words and, finally, it's eventful as all hell, with entertaining and enthralling happenings.

A few of the these are also absolutely brutal, I'd even say earth-shattering.

Other than that, the book's writing is extremely raw and I cannot stress how good it manages to be sometimes, even in times where you'd think it doesn't need to? Yeah, it goes that far to put the nail in the coffin, and I'm glad it does exactly that. But let's start talking about more palpable things and in more specific terms.

This book knows how to keep you entertained. It's action packed but it also knows how to slow down without making it feel like you're going slower - in fact, it manages to make even emotional scenes extremely fast paced, in my opinion. You'll find yourself just going and going, which is something I really enjoyed when I realize this book has chapters with a longer length than I usually pivot for, though the length isn't really set in stone and varies a bit, if my memory doesn't deceive me.

On another note, the characters in this book? Holy shit. Obviously, the main characters are clear highlights but even the side characters are brimming with personality and realism. You will feel for Bree, for Nick and for Sel, sometimes all at the same time. But you will also love William's remarks, the way all antagonists make your blood B O I L. It's top-notch writing and storytelling, my hes, shes and theys.

Along with this, you'll find some amazing themes entwined in this story: Arthurean lore? Incapacitating grief and cope with said grief? Magic framed not as a blessing but as a curse or at something that comes with a price? And two portrayals of magic, at that? Racial issues and very present tension? Search of an outcome and, to be honest, purpose? Love (platonic, romantic and family)? This book's got all that and probably more I can't remember right now.

Now... The romance? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. I had never found a book that made me this in love with a straight relationship. I usually never look forward to a straight relationship in a book I'm reading... But Miss Tracy Deonn said Nah, you're going to root for these two and YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT. And like them two lovebirds I did. I will, however, say, that there's a lot of potential for a polyamorous trio here. And Miss Tracy Deonn? If you give that to me I shall have children for the sole purpose of making my kids read this series - assuming I won't do that already. You have made Bree a character who I feel for and root for with all my being in her moments I can't fathom as a white guy doused in privilege, but you've made her so utterly relatable, raw and real that I felt everything she felt. I fell in love with the guy she fell in love. I felt her internal strife, I felt it all.

So, Miss Tracy Deonn... You've sold me on everything you write from now on and got me dying for the continuation of this absolute masterpiece. And notice I did not stutter, nor did I use that word lightly.

As for any unconvinced readers? I don't know what to tell you other than that if none of what I said convinces you, all I ask you is to give it a try.

thehaileybirdie's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really struggled to get halfway through because of the pacing and the fact that Bree doesn’t know anything most of the time so everything needs to be infodumped on her all the time so that slowed things down a bit. There was also a couple of plot threads going on at once that converge later so that also required more setup than I’ve seen in most stories but the second half was well worth the wait! It took me over two weeks to read the first 200 pages but that last 200 pages took me a five hour sitting from 11pm to 4am…it was that kind of night. I literally could not put the book down even if I wanted to after about page 250. It was so mindblowingly good and I can’t wait for the second one!

I also really loved the author’s note where the message of “I loved these legends (King Arthur) and now we get to to decide who is legendary”. I love Arthurian legends as well and have done a few things in my studies to unpack some of the messages of Arthuriana so it was actually really refreshing to see a retelling that focuses on the toxic masculinity, the racism, and the misogyny of it all. It’s not all romantic love and chivalry…especially not to women of color.

Overall, I had minor issues with the pacing and the best friend Alice who just seemed to be…there. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, the romance, and the friendship with a certain healer, and the message of generational healing from trauma through mothers. It was really powerful and I wish I could read that ending over and over and over again.

coolbeancat's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

roseamillerg's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

a bit too much (very confusing and complex) lore for me.

almost DNF’d multiple times, but I am happy that I finished the book.

P.s. William is *chef’s kiss* 😌

P.p.s the cover is so pretty 🥺🥵

Also can I just say SEL🦋🦋🦋💀

Spoiler I didn’t like how the deaths of Evan, Whitty and Russ were written because they happened so fast and so close to each other that I feel like they lost their impact, which is really such a shame (especially bc they were TEENAGERS!! :(

water_violin's review

adventurous challenging emotional informative mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

This was a phenomenal book. It’s the kind of book you just keep thinking about even after you’ve finished. I’m so excited that the author is working on a second one, because I could read so much in this world. Absolutely enthralled by the world building and characters. I sincerely loved this story and can’t wait foe more.

rachrreads's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional tense fast-paced

Tracy Deonn you have created a MASTERPIECE. I’m so excited to read the next book. I love the intertwining of Arthur and his round table with “magic” (for lack of a better word) and fighting against shadows only those who are descended from Arthur and his knights can see. Absolutely great storytelling.

Also, the amount of representation in this book was amazing!

booksandtea997's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

rainbowshelves's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced

This rocked my world. This explores power, privilege and duty. It tackles grief and trauma. The balance of the legacy of the past against hope for the future. All with the backdrop of Arthurian legend. Yeah. Read it. Immediately.

annalisaely's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious medium-paced

I loved this new imagining of Arthur's Round Table's descendants and the "Once and Future" legend. I adore the main character and the way she brings the other characters in and asks for help when she needs it, the friends she makes, and the magic she sees and uses. This story had an abnormally large amount of "good guy" side characters that actually get on well with the main character, probably inspired by the Round Table concept, and I really enjoyed that. Tracy Deonn also looks at a lot of interesting topics, such as racism in a university context, grief, how knowledge of one's own history is important to knowledge of oneself, the toxicity of controlling bloodlines, and what loyalty is. I highly recommend it for fantasy lovers and anyone who enjoys Arthurian legend!

chaosreads's review

adventurous emotional informative reflective tense fast-paced