Reviews tagging Grief

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

ladyandherlibrary's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

This book was fantastic. Deonn melded together the Arthurian legends, magic, the spiritual practice of enslaved Africans, and modern social commentary in a fast paced and brilliant story that I couldn’t put down. I LOVE Bre and Sel and Greer. Ugh. The next book can’t come soon enough.

thrntnja's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

rebeccafarren's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

explorer_of_legends_and_ink's review against another edition

Worried about triggers, especially
Spoiler sexual assault

branwen's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

I adored this book. I admit that I was skeptical at first, because of the hype around it, and so often they don't turn out to be as incredible as people claim, but the popularity of this book is so justified.
It is based on Arthurian legends but within a modern setting, and I loved what Deonn did with this folklore. They weren't just the legends re-hashed as we know them, but dealt with and changed in such a unique way that it was like exploring the legends for the first time all over again. There is also a really interesting array of magic systems within the world that also felt very intricate and immersive. And by having a secret society setting, it just added so much more to the atmosphere of the book as well.
The characters are by far one of the greatest strengths of the book. There is a large, diverse cast of characters who all feel well-developed and with distinguishable personalities. I think the author can create a real sense of authenticity in her work, so the diversity or the dynamics and chemistry between characters never feels forced. All of them are interesting and complex, and whilst there is always a few that you just cannot like and you're not supposed to like either, the large majority of them feel real and likeable, because you're given insight into their personalities and the ways in which they work/ think. Bree (the main character) also goes on a particularly incredible journey throughout the book, which is inspiring and emotional, and she gains more character development and depth in one book than some characters gain throughout a whole series. There's also a love triangle, and I cannot explain enough how much I usually despise them... yet this one had me hooked. It's definitely in the early stages of a love triangle, but I love the different dynamics we see between them all and I completely believe in the chemistry that Deonn can create between characters.
Also, as much as there is a mystery being woven and solved, there's a lot of humour as well as emotional depth, which everyone can relate to or enjoy reading in some way.
My only complaint is that the first 100 pages didn't particularly capture my attention, but then after that I was hooked. This book surprised me in so many ways and you get to go on such a journey with the characters (not just the main one) and you can't help but root for them.

whisk_me_away's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

mergwenthur's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

holy shit this book is AMAZING

first of all the rep (poc and queer) is SO GOOD. bree is a black woman and the queer rep is casual and amazingly written.

this book was so beautiful and enchanting. it focused on the history of black people on a fantasy based level as well as arthurian legend and bree's own history and family ties.

it usually takes time for my head to wrap around the fantasy world of whichever book I am reading but this was pretty straight forward.

all of the characters apart from perhaps one or two are VERY loveable.

the relationships and dynamics of everyone in the book are very interesting to read and honestly I love them all. i love how some developed over time and the amount of trust and respect they have for one another.

part four had a GRIP on me. i literally couldn't put the book down it was so tense and put me on edge.

I was so upset when it ended but I'm really looking forward to the next book !!

bluejayreads's review

I was expecting something way different out of this book. Some sort of urban fantasy with a campus club of magical people that the protagonist needs to join to find answers. What I got was punched in the face with the intense and violent grief of losing a parent before I even knew the narrator's name.

Right off the bat, that made it a struggle for me to relate. Not only is my mother still alive, but so is my mother-in-law, both grandmothers, and two of my great-grandmothers. The only deaths I've experienced are a great-uncle I saw once a year and a girl I wanted to be friends with but had only actually met once - no one I was particularly close to. I knew nothing about Bree or her mother that could make me feel anything beyond "gee, losing your mom must suck," so I couldn't relate or connect to the depths of her grief. And since Bree's grief was the one and only thing I knew about her, I started to feel less like I cared about her and more like one of the people she despised for their useless sympathy.

And getting the strong impression that you would be hated and despised by the protagonist really kills your enjoyment of the story.

That's not to say that this is necessarily a bad book, or even a bad thing. Someone who has had that experience of losing someone you were close to would likely be able to forge an immediate connection with Bree and be able to relate and empathize instead of observe and sympathize. For me, though, my life has been relatively untouched by death so far, and the depths of Bree's grief and her anger and people who don't understand made me feel like as a reader who didn't understand, I wasn't welcome in her story. This is not a bad book, it's just not a book that I can relate to.

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

leob's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

This was such a FUN book! The world is hecka interesting, the cast is amazing, the protagonist grew on me and
Spoilerif I DON'T GET A POLY ROMANCE BETWEEN NICK, SEL AND BREE I WILL RAGE-
  ahem, anyways, this was such a refreshing easy to read story! I was flying through it <3
P.S.: The last few chapters destroyed me emotionally tho aaaa