Reviews tagging Death of parent

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

rayraytaylorr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring tense medium-paced

There aren't enough words to describe how I feel about this book. This book has everything I want, need and love to have in a story. Firstly, a strong hero, one of the strongest. Bree is a character who can be an inspiration to so many but it brings me immense joy to think about the young Black kids out there who can have this character be their hero. I love the ways that Bree's culture plays a strong part in the storytelling - like the importance Bree's hair plays in her life (taking care of it, responding to how other people react to it), among many other things, subtle and full. In fact, the overall representation in this book brings me to joyful tears. Another thing I love is the way that Bree and Alice's friendship preserves throughout the story - they have their moments of course - but I'm so glad we don't see their friendship forgotten or ending when Bree finds an additional group of friends (I find this happens sometimes when MC's get thrown into a fantasy world). I loved Nick and Sel, our respective sunshine and grump love interests - um but seriously I love Sel and I can't wait to see his walls break down even more. Another aspect to this book that made me fall in love with it was the STAKES. I finished reading a book not that long ago that bored me to death myself so even the slightest tension made me happy but OML- I was unable to breathe, I was shaking and the twists and turns - jaw dropping.

I also really appreciated the way that real life issues were still apart of the fantasy. The way the dealings of racism and Black history, of bigotry as an overall, as well as the grief and struggle that Bree goes through, were part of the heart of the story and were used to limit and advance was important and incredibly well dealt with.

4.5 ⭐️  only because it took a bit to wrap my head around the roles of the Order, the description of demons/enemy moments. But I'm so keen for the 2nd book.

rebeccafarren's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

nouraomran's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

marieprem08's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

branwen's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

I adored this book. I admit that I was skeptical at first, because of the hype around it, and so often they don't turn out to be as incredible as people claim, but the popularity of this book is so justified.
It is based on Arthurian legends but within a modern setting, and I loved what Deonn did with this folklore. They weren't just the legends re-hashed as we know them, but dealt with and changed in such a unique way that it was like exploring the legends for the first time all over again. There is also a really interesting array of magic systems within the world that also felt very intricate and immersive. And by having a secret society setting, it just added so much more to the atmosphere of the book as well.
The characters are by far one of the greatest strengths of the book. There is a large, diverse cast of characters who all feel well-developed and with distinguishable personalities. I think the author can create a real sense of authenticity in her work, so the diversity or the dynamics and chemistry between characters never feels forced. All of them are interesting and complex, and whilst there is always a few that you just cannot like and you're not supposed to like either, the large majority of them feel real and likeable, because you're given insight into their personalities and the ways in which they work/ think. Bree (the main character) also goes on a particularly incredible journey throughout the book, which is inspiring and emotional, and she gains more character development and depth in one book than some characters gain throughout a whole series. There's also a love triangle, and I cannot explain enough how much I usually despise them... yet this one had me hooked. It's definitely in the early stages of a love triangle, but I love the different dynamics we see between them all and I completely believe in the chemistry that Deonn can create between characters.
Also, as much as there is a mystery being woven and solved, there's a lot of humour as well as emotional depth, which everyone can relate to or enjoy reading in some way.
My only complaint is that the first 100 pages didn't particularly capture my attention, but then after that I was hooked. This book surprised me in so many ways and you get to go on such a journey with the characters (not just the main one) and you can't help but root for them.

hannahh071's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

I really loved reading this novel. It's easy to get into and it is really a page-turner. The diversity of the characters is really good, not only in race, but also sexuality and gender. It has also a powerfull female protagonist, which is something I loved.

bluejayreads's review

I was expecting something way different out of this book. Some sort of urban fantasy with a campus club of magical people that the protagonist needs to join to find answers. What I got was punched in the face with the intense and violent grief of losing a parent before I even knew the narrator's name.

Right off the bat, that made it a struggle for me to relate. Not only is my mother still alive, but so is my mother-in-law, both grandmothers, and two of my great-grandmothers. The only deaths I've experienced are a great-uncle I saw once a year and a girl I wanted to be friends with but had only actually met once - no one I was particularly close to. I knew nothing about Bree or her mother that could make me feel anything beyond "gee, losing your mom must suck," so I couldn't relate or connect to the depths of her grief. And since Bree's grief was the one and only thing I knew about her, I started to feel less like I cared about her and more like one of the people she despised for their useless sympathy.

And getting the strong impression that you would be hated and despised by the protagonist really kills your enjoyment of the story.

That's not to say that this is necessarily a bad book, or even a bad thing. Someone who has had that experience of losing someone you were close to would likely be able to forge an immediate connection with Bree and be able to relate and empathize instead of observe and sympathize. For me, though, my life has been relatively untouched by death so far, and the depths of Bree's grief and her anger and people who don't understand made me feel like as a reader who didn't understand, I wasn't welcome in her story. This is not a bad book, it's just not a book that I can relate to.

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

leob's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

This was such a FUN book! The world is hecka interesting, the cast is amazing, the protagonist grew on me and
Spoilerif I DON'T GET A POLY ROMANCE BETWEEN NICK, SEL AND BREE I WILL RAGE-
  ahem, anyways, this was such a refreshing easy to read story! I was flying through it <3
P.S.: The last few chapters destroyed me emotionally tho aaaa

erinlikesstories's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced