Reviews tagging Murder

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

tine9625's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

irisheyz77's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

katisreading's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

This book is PERFECT. I can’t fully put into words how much I loved it - this is definitely up there with my favorite books, maybe even taking the top spot! The intricacy of the story and how well it throws a new twist on the Arthur legend while at the same time introducing new magic systems is amazing. Throw in there a real world connection and pair it with racial issues of the past and present and my jaw was on the floor for most of my read. I devoured this book, while at the same time wanting to savor every minute of it. I hope the sequel comes soon!!!

habibti_hana's review

adventurous funny sad medium-paced

nxs06's review

challenging mysterious medium-paced

thehaileybirdie's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really struggled to get halfway through because of the pacing and the fact that Bree doesn’t know anything most of the time so everything needs to be infodumped on her all the time so that slowed things down a bit. There was also a couple of plot threads going on at once that converge later so that also required more setup than I’ve seen in most stories but the second half was well worth the wait! It took me over two weeks to read the first 200 pages but that last 200 pages took me a five hour sitting from 11pm to 4am…it was that kind of night. I literally could not put the book down even if I wanted to after about page 250. It was so mindblowingly good and I can’t wait for the second one!

I also really loved the author’s note where the message of “I loved these legends (King Arthur) and now we get to to decide who is legendary”. I love Arthurian legends as well and have done a few things in my studies to unpack some of the messages of Arthuriana so it was actually really refreshing to see a retelling that focuses on the toxic masculinity, the racism, and the misogyny of it all. It’s not all romantic love and chivalry…especially not to women of color.

Overall, I had minor issues with the pacing and the best friend Alice who just seemed to be…there. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, the romance, and the friendship with a certain healer, and the message of generational healing from trauma through mothers. It was really powerful and I wish I could read that ending over and over and over again.

softselkie's review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

asourceoffiction's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

I may have a new favourite genre; YA fantasy, but set in our universe. Or, it may just be that Tracy Deonn is my new favourite genre. This book was AMAZING. It has so many things I am totally here for: fantasy, King Arthur, a patriarchy that needs a good smashing, fantastic representation, love-hate feelings towards the complex characters. And it has Bree. Bree is THE hero. She's fierce, flawed and freaking awesome. I adored everything about her journey.

What I loved is that among all this adventure there is also a brilliantly crafted love story, but one that never overshadows or defines the main arc. And it's funny; the relationships formed through the book are fantastic and there's real warmth, and real tragedy. I was just immersed in this whole world.

Ugh, I could go on. But just read it. And I'd like the next one now please!

virsamajor's review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious fast-paced

knifewifestan's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative mysterious tense medium-paced