Reviews tagging Pregnancy

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

leob's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

This was such a FUN book! The world is hecka interesting, the cast is amazing, the protagonist grew on me and
Spoilerif I DON'T GET A POLY ROMANCE BETWEEN NICK, SEL AND BREE I WILL RAGE-
  ahem, anyways, this was such a refreshing easy to read story! I was flying through it <3
P.S.: The last few chapters destroyed me emotionally tho aaaa

irisheyz77's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

lessthelonely's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

Read my review here: lonelylesspage.wordpress.com

This book will become for me what Joker is for straight men and I would say I'm sorry about it but then again, I'd be lying.

Let me see how I can put my thoughts of this book and expectations for what's to come in simple terms and while keeping my composure. First of all, I decided to read this book because BookTok wouldn't shut up about it. I now understand why. Secondly, this book is absolutely filled to the cup's edge with magic, amazing character interactions between amazing characters, character development so sharp and astute I can't even put it into more words and, finally, it's eventful as all hell, with entertaining and enthralling happenings.

A few of the these are also absolutely brutal, I'd even say earth-shattering.

Other than that, the book's writing is extremely raw and I cannot stress how good it manages to be sometimes, even in times where you'd think it doesn't need to? Yeah, it goes that far to put the nail in the coffin, and I'm glad it does exactly that. But let's start talking about more palpable things and in more specific terms.

This book knows how to keep you entertained. It's action packed but it also knows how to slow down without making it feel like you're going slower - in fact, it manages to make even emotional scenes extremely fast paced, in my opinion. You'll find yourself just going and going, which is something I really enjoyed when I realize this book has chapters with a longer length than I usually pivot for, though the length isn't really set in stone and varies a bit, if my memory doesn't deceive me.

On another note, the characters in this book? Holy shit. Obviously, the main characters are clear highlights but even the side characters are brimming with personality and realism. You will feel for Bree, for Nick and for Sel, sometimes all at the same time. But you will also love William's remarks, the way all antagonists make your blood B O I L. It's top-notch writing and storytelling, my hes, shes and theys.

Along with this, you'll find some amazing themes entwined in this story: Arthurean lore? Incapacitating grief and cope with said grief? Magic framed not as a blessing but as a curse or at something that comes with a price? And two portrayals of magic, at that? Racial issues and very present tension? Search of an outcome and, to be honest, purpose? Love (platonic, romantic and family)? This book's got all that and probably more I can't remember right now.

Now... The romance? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. I had never found a book that made me this in love with a straight relationship. I usually never look forward to a straight relationship in a book I'm reading... But Miss Tracy Deonn said Nah, you're going to root for these two and YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT. And like them two lovebirds I did. I will, however, say, that there's a lot of potential for a polyamorous trio here. And Miss Tracy Deonn? If you give that to me I shall have children for the sole purpose of making my kids read this series - assuming I won't do that already. You have made Bree a character who I feel for and root for with all my being in her moments I can't fathom as a white guy doused in privilege, but you've made her so utterly relatable, raw and real that I felt everything she felt. I fell in love with the guy she fell in love. I felt her internal strife, I felt it all.

So, Miss Tracy Deonn... You've sold me on everything you write from now on and got me dying for the continuation of this absolute masterpiece. And notice I did not stutter, nor did I use that word lightly.

As for any unconvinced readers? I don't know what to tell you other than that if none of what I said convinces you, all I ask you is to give it a try.

coolbeancat's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

kimi72714's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book.

This book reminds me what great YA fiction should be like, and took me back a decade to when life is hectic, and confusing, but wonderful as a 16 year old.

There are difficult themes in this book that everyone will grapple with differently, but the acknowledgement that a country was built on slavery is an important issue for everyone to work through.

I laughed, I cried, I wanted to smack some characters, my chest tingled at the romance scenes.

This book was such a great YA SFF book and I'm so glad teens gave books like this to read now. Thank you so much Tracy Deonn!

achingallover's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring sad tense fast-paced

oh boy oh boy i was not expecting to love this and it has torn my heart out and stamped on it and i didnt realise it wasnt a standalone and now im dying

monilib's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional fast-paced

cerilouisereads's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad tense fast-paced

boredomandwordsofbooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

adeliav's review

adventurous challenging funny mysterious fast-paced

YES! YES!! YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!
I love this book. I love it. It's great ...so great.

So this author is new to me and I had literally no expectations of this book. I went in knowing only that the protagonist was a black female teenager and that the mythos of King Arthur was involved,  that's it. When I started reading and found that the author didn't shy away from the heritage of their black characters or the other non-black characters histories I was like "oh okay what a refreshing way of writing adventure, but this is obviously a young adult fiction so I'm pretty sure I know where it's going." Wrong, I was so wrong and I couldn't be happier about it.

I love that I was able to be surprised by some of the twists and turns. I LOVE the level of diversity and inclusion that was written into the story. To the point where if you weren't looking for it you may miss it. So you know written realistically, not just shoved in there to make a point.

This story is clearly the first in a series and due to that has a lot of set up (hopefully) for things yet to come. If the author continues down this path for future books it'll be a new smash hit and I can't wait for the movie adaptation. If she doesn't well... at least this book was great and there are still plenty of things left to wrap up so at least part of the next book will be good. There are two major plot gaps that I am hoping future stories will fill in and hopefully not in expected (*cough* hunger games) ways. I like this authors writing style, not overly descriptive but able to paint a clear picture, very new age JK. She's easy to read and easy to enjoy.

I appreciate the development of the main character... however other characters could have had some more growth. That being said this is fast paced when looking at it from the worlds timeline... not a lot of people could (or would) change as quickly as this book has moved. This means there is a BIG opportunity for growth of other characters in future stories.  I'll just say this here, the argument in the beginning is far too soon, but at least we got that teenage troupe out of the way from the start.

In short read this book... like right now read it.