Reviews tagging Colonisation

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

tine9625's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

maggie_atwood's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

scorpioness's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

thehaileybirdie's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really struggled to get halfway through because of the pacing and the fact that Bree doesn’t know anything most of the time so everything needs to be infodumped on her all the time so that slowed things down a bit. There was also a couple of plot threads going on at once that converge later so that also required more setup than I’ve seen in most stories but the second half was well worth the wait! It took me over two weeks to read the first 200 pages but that last 200 pages took me a five hour sitting from 11pm to 4am…it was that kind of night. I literally could not put the book down even if I wanted to after about page 250. It was so mindblowingly good and I can’t wait for the second one!

I also really loved the author’s note where the message of “I loved these legends (King Arthur) and now we get to to decide who is legendary”. I love Arthurian legends as well and have done a few things in my studies to unpack some of the messages of Arthuriana so it was actually really refreshing to see a retelling that focuses on the toxic masculinity, the racism, and the misogyny of it all. It’s not all romantic love and chivalry…especially not to women of color.

Overall, I had minor issues with the pacing and the best friend Alice who just seemed to be…there. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, the romance, and the friendship with a certain healer, and the message of generational healing from trauma through mothers. It was really powerful and I wish I could read that ending over and over and over again.

cedmnds's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious fast-paced

a bit of a complicated plot . you kind of have to be fully paying attention because there is a lot going on . the plot was really interesting . i lo be the main characters, but i kinda feel like the relationship was a bit forced  ? maybe just me but i think it would have been better if it were purely platonic . i really liked this book

andromeda_1998's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

After reading the Witcher I lost my flow and I couldn’t find a book to read after. A couple of friends recommended Legendborn to me in the hope that I wouldn’t fall in a readingslump if I read something I enjoyed. Well did book did help me through it. I read it in 1,5 days and I loved it.

This book has great worldbuilding, some good characters and an enjoyable plot. The worldbuilding is based on arthurion legends but it is done in a very unique way. I am not a fan of taking mythology and shipping it to America though. But I can lead it slide since it was done respectfully.

The characters are typically ya, the story focuses on Bree, a girl and twee guys. And as you can imagine with a ya novel there is a possibility for a love triangle. The characters are well put together though. The grieve that Bree goes through is done well but can also be very triggering.

I would recommend this book to almost everyone but before you decide it check the triggerwarnings.

virsamajor's review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious fast-paced

knifewifestan's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative mysterious tense medium-paced

caoimhe9876's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

This is one of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read