Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

kristinaowl's review against another edition

carissas_bookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

rachaelarsenault's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

I'm not well-versed in Arthurian lore, but the way Deonn explores it in this book is not only interesting but accessible for the uninitiated. And the inclusion of other magic systems alongside that of the Legendborn was awesome, too.

Breeze was a really vivid, fully-realized character, and I loved seeing her grow and learn throughout the story . The way her grief overlapped with her powers was creative and poignant, and Deonn did an amazing job grappling with the grief of losing a loved one, of never meeting relatives like grandparents, and of conceptualizing generational trauma like slavery.

I also loved Sel. I kept feeling like I had a read on his character, and then something would happen and we would learn more, and I would be like, "Oh, wait, what?" I love when an author is able to do that. And seeing his dynamic with Bree shift over time was really fun, too.

(I got kind of a weird vibe from Nick all throughout, but that might just be a me thing.)

I did find it hard to keep track of all the characters, and how Scions and Squires and Vassals all worked, but I was also reading this while severely sleep deprived. And there is a chart provided at the back of the book that I didn't discover until I finished reading, so referencing that as I read might have helped.

I would be remiss not to discuss the plot in some fashion, because it unfolded so beautifully. It both was and wasn't what the book seemed to be building to, and I kept getting surprised in the most p

natasja140406's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

Well written main character and great diversity <3

shinycrazy's review against another edition

Highly enjoyable read! I'm an Arthurian Legend nerd and I loves how Tracy spun it into a secret society. I am very excited for book #2!

dostojevskijs's review against another edition

"Sometimes, you say the awful thing quickly and without taking a breath because lingering is too painful."

Such a nice twist to the Arthurian mythology, and the literature about it. Although, I must say I did like other aspects even more, such as the storyline about Bree, her mother and ancestors.

julie_ottosen's review against another edition

En ny favorit! Hold da kæft man, no words. Den slutning. Holy guacamole. ❤️❤️❤️.

libraryinthecountry's review against another edition

Wow! So much about this book is really just great, and it is easily one of my favorite retellings of the Arthurian legend, twists and all!

I cannot scream loud enough about how Tracy Deonn treated the legend and our own history in the United States and how she balanced reality with the fantastical elements of the story. It was so, so well done, and refreshing to see in an urban fantasy, especially one right the retelling aspect.

I’ll be quite honest in that at one point I was Team Nick, then I was Team Sel and now I’m TEAM WHY CHOOSE

mochib's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced