These Violent Delights, by Chloe Gong

jcmandimu's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

queeniesfantasybooks's review

This book is actually a 3.5 but I rounded up instead of down cuz I did like the book, it just had some technical problems. The first of which is that especially in the beginning of the book the writing just screams "I am trying so hard to write beautifully" it kind of draws away from the actual content. Additionally, I have no idea why the author decided that this needed to be a duology. In the end nothing is sumed up even though it could have been if she spent less time on other aspects in the beginning and middle. In truth, I dont really want to read the second one but I feel like I have to because I made it this far, I might as well see how she Chloe decides to end it. At least the covers are super pretty.

teresamyers's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

katerina16's review

Thoroughly enjoyed this, found it very easy to read and didn't want to stop. Although, I would not say this is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, rather a story that took some inspiration from the original tale (names, basic concepts, but not too much plot wise).

twenle's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

takarakei's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

I am going to read the 2nd book and then revisit my overall thoughts on the duology. Generally I didn't like this as much as I was expecting to. I know it's YA but I felt the immaturity of the main characters. I didn't get enough tension build up between them, and I was more interested in the side characters.
SpoilerI also did not really understand the monster/plague thing, once they figured it out at the end. I was just confused.

zooegirlll's review

i found this to be quite an enjoyable book!!
i love a good forbidden romance mixed with a bit of 1920s vibes, but often felt that the whole “mystery” itself was lacking the suspenseful thrill of sleuthing, and felt the got the answers they needed quite easily. overall though i really enjoyed it despite it not being a perfect book and i will definitely pick up book #2 when it comes out!

an_aesthetic's review

This book was promising, but ended up being just meh. It’s set in 1920s Shanghai where the city is divided between two warring families. From each of these rival gangs we have our two main characters Juliette and Roma. It’s a spin on Romeo and Juliet, obviously, but there wasn’t very much romance. The main focus was a mysterious madness that starts ravaging a city that is already on the brink of catastrophe as warring political factions, including the two gangs, and Communists, and Nationalists, are in upheaval trying to gain control and power.

The story was okay. There was a lot of telling, but not showing. As a result, I didn’t feel any real connections to the characters. Also, there were many plot lines that were introduced and went nowhere and the pacing could have been vastly improved. The first two-thirds of the book dragged and then so much happened at the end. It left off on a cliffhanger and apparently it’s only a duet so I’m still interested in checking out the sequel

sneaxsneax29's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

simplydemonic35's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced