When Women Were Dragons, by Kelly Barnhill

soopushie's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective fast-paced

kcsbailando's review

adventurous emotional lighthearted reflective sad slow-paced

brentay08's review against another edition

3.5 ⭐️‘a

I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this book. However it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I found the first third of the book to be immensely engaging, whereas the latter half of the book or so I struggled to get through because it felt repetitive at times.

The novel centers around this phenomenon of women "dragoning" and addresses issues such as the patriarchy, misogyny, sexuality, and feminism. This metaphor of women turning into dragons represents the female rage these women are experiencing towards their oppressors. We see this through Alex's family and the way her aunt, mother and the other women around her are treated.

I love that we get to read about a girl who wants to be in academia and has no real dream of becoming a mother or a homemaker in a time where that was absolutely expected of her. She is resilient and the end of her story definitely made me emotional to see where she ended up considering all that she had to overcome. My favorite character was Beatrice hands down. She brought light into the darkness of Alex's life and made me laugh while reading!

When Women Were Dragons is a powerful coming of age story that explores messages and themes that are pertinent to women everywhere.

abelfiel's review

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

tashinasaurus_rex's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

marthe1998's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

evierashell's review

I really really wanted to love this. The premise of the book hooked me in and the writing was clean and neat. But it was so slow. Nothing happened in it. I didn't really care for the characters until 2/3rds of the way through. I felt so disconnected. It felt so clinical.
I definitely think there's an audience who'd enjoy it but it just wasn't for me. I think I expected a book that was filled with rage and feeling and rising up and fierce feminism but it didn't have that. It was just like, women turned into dragons but everyone will ignore that for years and we'll spend 200 pages talking about the everyday life of a girl.
Personally I think the premise of the book and what the book actually is, simply don't align.
I also don't think it's YA. I understand the story follows Alex as she grows up but teenagers 100% will ignore the entire sections of science.

dawnjoy's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

23nikki23's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

bumbleshe_'s review