Listen, by Kris Bryant

amcheri's review

I thoroughly enjoyed this romance. While we didn't get to know too much about Hope, Lily's character was well developed and watching her grow and blossom was definitely satisfying. And the chemistry between the two was great.

All in all, I really liked the author's style and storytelling.

My only issue is that there were several words and phrases that were repeated way too often. I'm fully aware that most people don't have a problem with this and many won't even notice. But I do and my brain gets hung up on them so I get pulled out of the story. Still, I had a lovely time hanging out with Lily and recommend Listen to anyone who enjoys a sweet romance with a touch of angst and lots of music.

m0thermayi's review against another edition

4.25 stars | This was so good! It reminded me of a SwanQueen fic I once read. I love the relationship between Lily and Hope! It was sweet and just everything I needed xD The writing was great! I will definitely read more from this author.

Reread July 2020.

josb's review against another edition

Bryant did well making the both mains feel real and the concept was intruiging and made for a quick light read. The playful flirting I thought was done well and did not feel forced despite the fact that some of the romantic lines were too cheesy for me.
There were a few bits of narration that I felt were either a bit closed minded or naive. I can't tell if it was done on purpose since they seemed to fit the character.
Either way, a solid read that certainly makes me interested in checking out other books by Bryant.

patricia71's review against another edition

I can’t explain what, but something was missing for me. That why 4 stars.

elvang's review against another edition

Listen is a slow burn romance which also wins in its depiction of someone dealing with severe social anxiety. Lily Croft is just getting by working mostly from home and keeping her interactions with others to a minimum. Regular sessions with a counselor and the love of a ragged-eared rescue cat help keep her nightmares under control. Her chance meeting with Hope D’Marco at the Leading Note Music Center opens new possibilities for Lily if she is able to overcome her fears and take a chance at love.

Told in first person from Lily’s point of view the reader is fully immersed in the anxiety she deals with every day. There were moments in the book when I felt as anxious as Lily which says a lot about the storytelling skills of Ms Bryant. Simple interactions become monumental tasks. I marveled at Hope’s patience with Lily. I enjoyed watching the early brief and uncomfortable encounters with Hope slowly blossom into moments Lily could handle and enjoy. You know something is going to happen to reverse all the progress Lily makes but you can’t look away.

Music plays a major role in many scenes but so too does the need to listen to your heart. Nicely done.

ARC received with thanks from publisher via NetGalley for review.

sandraemma's review against another edition

''I have touched a lot of beautiful things in my life, but you, Hope D'Marco, are by far the loveliest''

this was so soft, catch me sobbing after finishing it.

I think this is my favorite Kris Bryant book i've read so far, there's just something about novels that involve music that makes my heart go pitter patter. Can't wait to get to her other works, one of my goals this year is to read all the books she's published so far, and I'm slowly but surely getting there yay

4.5★

xlynt's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

The story was fine but it was a slough to get through.

mjsam's review against another edition

ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a highlight for me, so far the books I’ve read in 2019 have been average at best, so I was happy to hit on such a sweet romance. Bryant is a favourite of mine, and luckily this did not disappoint. Here, we have MCs Lily, who is an actuary who suffers from anxiety, and Hope, who runs a music program for children. Lily’s anxiety stems from being a music prodigy when she was young, and through listening to Hope play and becoming involved in Hope’s world, finds her way back to music again.

I loved that Bryant didn’t shy away from how Lily’s anxiety affected her everyday interactions (and even whether she could interact or the ways that she did). I suffer from anxiety too, though to a different extent to Lily and found the way this was handled in the book very realistic. Hope was also a wonderful character, and very understanding (which was made more feasible by the type of work she did).

The interactions between the two are very sweet, I adored all of their dates and how their romance unfolded. When the requisite breakup eventuates, it actually felt authentic rather than contrived (and surprised me because I’d anticipated it perhaps happening the opposite way).

The only flaws were the use of first person, which works better here than it normally would because it’s kind of necessary to spend so much time in Lily’s head, but I still felt like I would have liked to read a more fleshed out version of Hope. I really wish authors who want to write in first person would use both POVs. The other flaw was that the root of Lily’s anxiety and relationship with her family aren’t really explored, we’re given the basic info, but the two leads never discuss it and I’d have preferred a bit more background on what happened, especially with Lily’s family, since the event/anxiety is almost the third character in the book.

All in all though, this was a lovely romance and is probably my second favourite Bryant book after [b:Jolt|20702686|Jolt|Kris Bryant|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1399836028l/20702686._SY75_.jpg|40022503]. 4.25 stars.

lsnack's review against another edition

I always enjoy stories by Kris Bryant and this was magical. Lily has so much talent, but it is locked away due to an emotional break from her childhood. Hope offers friendship and more. This is a very tender story dealing with a lot of painful memories. Brittni Pope did a fantastic job with all the characters and the emotions of this audiobook.

theamandashelby's review against another edition

This was my 8th read by Bryant, and for me, her books just get better and better. That is saying a lot because all of her books are great reads. I read two of her books back to back this time and both were absolutely awesome. I think she has moved into my top 5 authors. I am writing my reviews a while after reading the book, and just writing this review makes me want to reread the book again. The characters were great, the writing was amazing, and the story was perfect. I really felt the chemistry between the two mains. This book as well as, Falling… the second book by Bryant I read, are wonderful and anyone looking for an excellent romance should pick them both up immediately.