A Dance of Mirrors, by David Dalglish

veronica_chamaedrys's review against another edition

First reading 2015:
So much action. Can't handle this. LOVE it! Zusa is growing on me now.

Second reading 2018:
Okay. Zusa is pretty amazing.

The book starts of promising but then it goes downhill for me. It feels like the entire book is just there to make sure we think about if what Haern does is morally right or not, what’s the difference between the watcher and the wraith?

We are introduced to elves but I wish we actually got to KNOW them and not just having them as a plot point. The attempts to try and make you care about the elves are quite weak and they are flat characters.

Anyway. Parts were interesting, mostly I’m kind of bored.

Be aware: imagined rape, detailed killings, drug use etc.

chaoticonomist's review against another edition

Enjoyable third book in the series. Interesting and didn't end as planned. I'm excited to dig into the fourth book to see where it goes.

ghostmuppet's review

Third book in the series is a lot better than the other 2, with a fairly standard story and better characters. However, its just still too violent for my liking. I will look at getting the other books in the series - but only if they are on offer.

behindthepages's review

Well Dalglish topped his previous book A Dance of Blades with this one! He has crafted a stunning plot with the perfect balance between characters, seamlessly switching from one character’s POV to another, building up the tension and storyline with each chapter. And Dalglish makes sure to eliminate characters artfully, putting us on the edge of our seats, waiting to see what will happen to our favorites. He is unafraid to write about the darkness inside of people and the conflictions they face with the choices made each day for the supposed greater good. With this novel we see both sides of the story, good and evil, finding that the line between each isn’t as far away as we would like to believe.
Now for a bit about the plot…confronted with a new character called the Wraith, Haern witnesses firsthand how someone can feel justified when killing to better a city and people. Haern’s guilt from killing wears on not only himself but the reader as well. I know I felt satisfied when witnessing Haern kill members of the Trifect and dole out his own form of punishment, but when perspectives change with a new city, I began questioning his role as a hero. When an author can dive into my head as much as their character’s, you know they are skilled in writing.
I am glad that I continued with this series, despite the hang ups I felt about the first book.