The Shaadi Set-Up, by Lillie Vale

emmareviews's review

This one was interesting. I liked the story but I feel like it was slightly different than the advertised premise of the book. It was definitely more of a slow burn than I expected that didn’t mind taking it’s time to focus on the romantic relationship. The romance was a forced proximity, second chance romance, with bits of  a love triangle and small town/workplace romance vibes. Although the story kept me engaged, I wish it had spent more time on the romantic relationship because I wanted to see more of them navigating their new relationship together, not just focusing on the past. 👤👩🏽🧑🏽⛅️

grace_db's review

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

jcardwell2022's review

I have wanted to read this book since I saw the cover and all the positive feedback on Instagram. This book did not disappoint. I loved the instant chemistry that they had.

Rita is in a hidden relationship with her boyfriend Neil, who's mom is obsessive over him. When he begins talking about introducing her to his family, she decides to join a dating website and creating both of them a profile to hide to their mothers that they have secretly already meet. She can't come straight out and tell her mother because His mom is married to her almost husband. While visiting her mom her ex-boyfriend Milo shows up to dinner. Milo and Rita's mothers have a plan for them to work together to reconnect their love. When Rita's Shaadi plan backfires, she must face reality and decide if it's time to come clean and meet Neil's family or move back to her Ex.

This book was such a good read. I had to give this book 4 stars. Neil to me wasn't a very developed character, but I loved Milo and Rita. Lillie Vale didn't an excelled job in her first adult novel. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

kaitlynkreu's review

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

lloydreads's review

"Not everyone deserves a second chance. Sometimes we have to live with what we've done. We can only learn from the past, not rewrite it."

High school sweethearts Rita and Milan were the ideal couple... Until he dumped her 6 years ago. Now she's with her seemingly perfect boyfriend Neil and making a living refurbishing furniture. Since she's keeping Neil a secret from her mom and told her that breaking up with Milan was mutual, her mother brings Milan back into her life under the guise of a business opportunity. Milan is now a real estate agent and needs Rita's help staging and flipping a property. A lot of old feelings come rushing back, ones Rita forced herself to forget. Desperate to prove she's over him, Rita signs up herself and Neil to the popular desi matchmaking site MyShaadi.com so she can show her mom they're a match. Except Neil doesn't match with her... Milan does.

I loved this desi romance! The Shaadi Set-Up is a slow burn second chance romance with dogs, house flipping, forced proximity, meddling family members, and a refreshing spin on the matchmaking trope. Rita is a fantastic protoganist! Who doesn't love a woman who's good with power tools and has a snarky sense of humor? Rita and Milan have excellent chemistry and I spent the entire book trying to figure out why the heck he broke up with her. Enjoyable side characters, foodie descriptions, and HGTV vibes all made this book even better. I enjoyed it a lot more than The Dating Plan and The Marriage Game by Sara Desai, so if you liked those then you'll love this. Highly recommend The Shaadi Set-Up for your next romcom.

Thank you @netgalley and Penguin Group Putnam for an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

haileygenevieve's review against another edition

Cute characters and concept, but I felt yanked around sometimes when a character would say something that didn't seem to quite fit the situation.

mikaela_martinez's review

challenging funny hopeful medium-paced

kitaabon_ka_ghar's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted reflective fast-paced

nathyreads's review

lighthearted medium-paced

A fun lighthearted romance novel. Enjoyable as long as you don’t take it too seriously.

The main character was a little frustrating and I did not think I was going to like the book at all in the beginning, but once I got into the meat of the book I was able to enjoy the story. It doesn’t take place over a long period of time so there isn’t much character development and I wish we got a bit more of that. Especially from the family and friend characters. I agree with some other reviews here that we never really figure out why the male protagonist is a better fit other than the fact that the two have history together.

I did enjoy the decor/home flip aspect and the desi character representation. Again, a fun light read if that is what you’re looking for.

arushi_7710's review

maybe no representation is okay with me - this was so bad