Reviews tagging Chronic illness

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

sakisreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow was a true tearjerker 🥲 I loved navigating Sadie and Sam’s sob stories (very valid and very vexing, especially Sam’s) and I felt that I could see them so clearly in my mind. I wonder if this will be a movie or series someday. I loved Marx especially, being the charming, cocky person he was 🥰
SpoilerHim getting shot though devastated me and I had to dry my tears very discreetly, reading this on a plane! The way it was written out read like a game and hit me hard.
Even if you aren’t a fan of fandom and games, this is a must read for anyone navigating friendships, love and a whole lot of trauma. The way Gabrielle Zevin writes is great ✨ I am off to sit and wallow in my feelings now!

jdamae11's review

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I needed a day to process why this book was so special for me. This book was just so satisfying and heartfelt, and an incredible journey exploring the special and deep kind of love that friendships, especially lifelong ones, allow us to experience in life. Not only was I emotionally attached to our two main characters, but I felt like EVERYONE in the book was so well developed and REAL. I laughed, got really tense and frustrated, and sobbed. I literally cried in the shower a whole day later thinking about things that happened in this book. Zevin I think does an amazing job tackling grief, chosen family, chronic illness, depression, hustle culture, generational changes, and the messy complicatedness of relationships. I was really struck by how she was able to paint so clearly the ways miscommunication and avoidance can completely derail even the strongest of friendships over time, and I felt myself screaming at the characters to just talk to each other 😂 i think in the middle it got a little tedious and I was wondering where it was going, but to be fair this was also paralleling what our characters were experiencing at the time — jadedness and frustration at being stuck. I can’t do this book justice with all its well placed moments and connecting threads, but I think the best thing about this for me was that the author makes the book feel like a game itself. There’s so many little gems you figure out she’s done style wise after you read a section and are like OHHHH WOWWW I SEE WHAT SHE DID THERE!! It’s the exact feeling you get when you’ve passed a really hard level in a video game or figured out the “trick” or “plot twist” to a game or show.  There is amazing continuity, EVERYTHING always circles it’s way back to an earlier moment, it’s so satisfying. As someone who escaped into video games as a kid and still loves them, this story was personal too. A lot of it was also set in L.A. and made me miss it there so much, Zevin painted it so well. I think if you’re not a gamer or less familiar with the settings it may feel less special, but should still be a great read. I got this from the library but am buying it so I can have it forever!

wsimcik's review against another edition

hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

jaji's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

I'm not usually one for contemporary/literary novels but I enjoyed this one.

The writing was smart and crisp. It also invoked nostalgia for me, for the games I've played and the childhood I have. I didn't know much about early game development so that was fun to learn.

All the characters have their flaws, but not in a way that makes them truly awful. I think Zevin does justice to how messy our relationships can be.

She also does justice to showcasing the experiences of people who might have our class systems stacked against them.

kelsea's review

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

jennikreads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

unoriginalinspiration's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective relaxing sad fast-paced

A thoroughly accurate depiction of the nuances of the technological world and real life, this book was something I was fully able to indulge in from Beginning to end. The book talks about the deeply rooted friendship of Sam Masur and Sadie Green, being ripped apart and glued back together, through a shared love of Video Games. Ranging from conversations about Illnesses, Disabilities, Family and Friendships, Homophobia, Patriarchy, Women in STEM, Loss, Grief, Toxic Relationships and Gun Violence, this book easily found it’s way to my heart. Being a student in tech myself, deriving comfort in shared experiences is not something I’ve been able to do in literature, until now.

marysaou's review

Wow. If you think this is a book about video games, think again.

There are plenty of Easter eggs for the avid gamer, sure, but this book dives into the connection between friends, lovers, collaborators, and all the places they may overlap. I was blown away by the power in relationships forged through loss and creativity.

I kept a running list of words I had to look up (landed around 10, I think). Zevin's vocabulary is off the charts! But it works, and was only distracting at the beginning for me.

This is a book I will read again, and I am already looking forward to it.

elliesberrie's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

ehabich's review

emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced