eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

jennikreads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

amandalorianxo's review

emotional sad slow-paced

I love that this took me back into the video game realm but in a modern and realistic setting. You don't read a lot of books about gamers or even game creators in fiction so this was awesome knowing about that going in. Plus the diversity was a plus - characters that were Jewish, Korean and Japanese descent. I did also like the fact that the characters (their strengths and their flaws) were not just brushed under. People called each other out, especially when they grew up and there was more at stake. I think my only suggestion would have been to cut out the NPC part that was Sam's ? Minus that, a character driven, slower read but with a lot of depth, grief and eventually love & bonding.

beccaruthe's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

c_ab_bage's review

emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

calebg's review against another edition

dark sad slow-paced

purplepenning's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

Full review to come. Probably. A compelling story of friendship and love and survival and pain, about knowing and being known, about story and play and vulnerability and trauma and context — all unfolding in the Shakespearean world of game development.

skudiklier's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Wow, this book was stunning. I was pulled in right from the start, and didn't lose interest at any point. It's absolutely gorgeous, about so many different things, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I don't spoil anything directly, but if you're worried about spoilers, you might want to skip the next three paragraphs. The final three paragraphs don't have any spoilers.

A weird thing about my experience of reading this book was that by the time I was halfway through, it felt like I'd read an entire book--like maybe it should be done already. And I want to be clear I don't mean that in a bad way, like the book felt too long or had poor pacing. It just felt like some books could have ended it there, and been interesting and relatively satisfying overall.

But because I knew I was only halfway through, I started getting worried: yes, this book had complicated relationships, and things that frustrated me, and heartbreaking tragedies. But what if something even worse was going to happen? What if this book was actually devastating, and I just didn't know it yet?

Reader, this book was devastating. My intuition was right, but I had no idea what was going to happen until it was too late. I sobbed through a large section of this book, and was teary-eyed through the whole rest of it, all the way until the end. I already liked this book, and felt it was emotionally deep and moving, but then it just absolutely gutted me.

This book was moving in so many ways. Emotionally, the characters and their relationships are so rich and real and complicated and messy. No one is perfectly likable all the time, and you're not on one character's side the whole way through. But also creatively, this book was so inspiring. I don't play a lot of video games, and know very little about making them, but I do write poetry. At one point I had to stop writing to frantically write down an idea--I'd been waiting for a breakthrough epiphany about something for over a year, and this book finally helped me crack it open, at least a little.

The quotes I pulled from this book to save for later are gorgeous, and the writing is superb. I love the way the book plays with time, and how the future is so casually and distressingly referenced. In a way, it lulled me into thinking I knew what was coming, without ever revealing the worst part.

I tore my way through this book, and basically spent a whole weekend in this world. I'm so grateful to Netgalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for the chance to read and review this ARC.

caseythereader's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

Thanks to AA Knopf for the free advance copy of this book.

- Honestly, TOMORROW AND TOMORROW AND TOMORROW is one of those books I'm not sure I can write a review about because I feel so intensely about it. It completely knocked the breath out of me, and I never wanted to leave its pages.
- Sam, Marx, and Sadie are a tender, complicated group, and following them through their ups and downs was both fulfilling and painful. I loved that this book showcases how your connections with people grow, change, stagnate, restart, and more throughout your life.
- They're all prickly and hard to love at times, but also, how could you do anything but love them deeply?
- The book is so well plotted too, with the narrator dropping little bits of foresight into the story, and the way themes and images recur throughout the characters' lives, whether they do it on purpose or it happens organically.
- Even if you don't know anything about video games, please give this one a try if you can. I think it's quite special. Do check the content warnings though, because there is some majorly heavy stuff in here.