Reviews tagging Eating disorder

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

owenwilsonbaby's review

dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"Maybe it was the willingness to play that hinted at a tender, eternally newborn part in all humans. Maybe it was the willingness to play that kept one from despair."

A book that had so many lines I wanted to include here that I actually found it pretty hard to choose. Zevin has crafted such a wonderful piece of art. There are so many layers to this that I think I need to reread it almost immediately. The entire last third made me want to ugly cry. Every scene of this book was on the surface about moving its tightly-wound plot onward, yet simultaneously managed to further an extraordinary portrait of play, art, ethics, performance, love and sex, disability and illness, relationships and family. Zevin's ideas about these varied topics are finely painted, always finding room for levity, lightness, nuance and exploration. At the same time, the scenes that lean more heavily into these themes never feel like they lack depth. If anything, the lightness of touch here in everything from narrative voice to plotting to recurrent images and motifs felt carefully considered. I learned so much about the gaming world and its history which I have never really interacted with before. And yet most of all I feel the novel's important insights boiled down to how humans relate to and care for another. That despite everything, in the end, love can be very simple. The conversation with Dong Hyun near the ending of the book where he incredulously looks at Sam and says "Are you kidding? [...] Everything is funny now." Insane. I wanted to sob.

emwilliams's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

meliroo's review

emotional reflective sad

wastingtime1994's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

This book took me far too long to read, in that i picked it up and was so underwhelmed I put it back down and did not real any book for over a week. But I trust the opinion of those who recommended it to me and knew there had to be something good coming. So I went from 17% complete to finished in one night. It may seem strange to give five stars to a book I nearly DNFed, but I believe this book has earned it.
I don’t have much to say about the story. It’s heartbreaking and made me realize just how sad I am in my own life right now. I wish to live in the game of Pioneer forever. I wish this book could go on forever because it is one of the few worlds I have been more attached to than my own life. Nothing bad could happen between these pages - to me at least; it’s different for the other characters.

I should read this again. But I should shower and eat and sleep first. I will return.

5.0/5.0

savvylit's review

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is a beautiful novel about love, friendship, and the connective power of video games. From the very beginning, video games are the glue of Sam & Sadie's friendship. As their lives progress and their relationship often becomes strained, video games remain the one thing that always brings the two of them back together.

Though I'm not a huge gamer myself, I can fondly recall portions of my life where video games helped me bridge my shyness or acted as a much-needed escape. Zevin manages to capture those sorts of oft-unacknowledged feelings throughout the pages of this novel. Even more specifically, Zevin explores the incredible equalizing power of video games. This is not a huge spoiler (because it's revealed very early on), but Sam has a disability that makes it difficult for him to walk. In video games, though, Sam can not only walk without pain but he can run - and even fly!

Zevin also absolutely excels at characterization. Sam, Sadie, and Marx are some of the most believable characters I've ever encountered in fiction. After finishing this novel, I felt like I missed them. And honestly, that's a rare feeling for me.

Lastly, there are so many poignant and heartbreaking examinations of loss and grief in Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow. While this book is a celebration of chosen families, it is also a beautiful examination of the way loss can echo throughout our lives. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow made me glad to be a human and I'm grateful for that.

beccaruthe's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

julestx's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

This book has a long list of CW that readers should take very seriously. There are a few parts that were extremely frustrating. However overall it is beautifully written and worth reading.

maregred's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

calebg's review against another edition

dark sad slow-paced

skudiklier's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Wow, this book was stunning. I was pulled in right from the start, and didn't lose interest at any point. It's absolutely gorgeous, about so many different things, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I don't spoil anything directly, but if you're worried about spoilers, you might want to skip the next three paragraphs. The final three paragraphs don't have any spoilers.

A weird thing about my experience of reading this book was that by the time I was halfway through, it felt like I'd read an entire book--like maybe it should be done already. And I want to be clear I don't mean that in a bad way, like the book felt too long or had poor pacing. It just felt like some books could have ended it there, and been interesting and relatively satisfying overall.

But because I knew I was only halfway through, I started getting worried: yes, this book had complicated relationships, and things that frustrated me, and heartbreaking tragedies. But what if something even worse was going to happen? What if this book was actually devastating, and I just didn't know it yet?

Reader, this book was devastating. My intuition was right, but I had no idea what was going to happen until it was too late. I sobbed through a large section of this book, and was teary-eyed through the whole rest of it, all the way until the end. I already liked this book, and felt it was emotionally deep and moving, but then it just absolutely gutted me.

This book was moving in so many ways. Emotionally, the characters and their relationships are so rich and real and complicated and messy. No one is perfectly likable all the time, and you're not on one character's side the whole way through. But also creatively, this book was so inspiring. I don't play a lot of video games, and know very little about making them, but I do write poetry. At one point I had to stop writing to frantically write down an idea--I'd been waiting for a breakthrough epiphany about something for over a year, and this book finally helped me crack it open, at least a little.

The quotes I pulled from this book to save for later are gorgeous, and the writing is superb. I love the way the book plays with time, and how the future is so casually and distressingly referenced. In a way, it lulled me into thinking I knew what was coming, without ever revealing the worst part.

I tore my way through this book, and basically spent a whole weekend in this world. I'm so grateful to Netgalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for the chance to read and review this ARC.