Reviews tagging Adult/minor relationship

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

royam's review

reflective medium-paced

I have complicated feelings about this book. On one hand,  I felt like
SpoilerMarx's death
was not necessary to have character development. Life can be hard but it doesn't need to be hard every time. On the other hand, I really enjoy that the characters are human and complicated. Relationships, platonic or romantic, are never clear-cut. The more you open up to someone, the more vulnerable you are. But if you always keep yourself at a distance, then no one will ever truly understand you. The struggles with failure and success were super relatable and personal. As a gamer, I loved each game's progress and the characters' differing experiences with every game.

sakisreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow was a true tearjerker 🥲 I loved navigating Sadie and Sam’s sob stories (very valid and very vexing, especially Sam’s) and I felt that I could see them so clearly in my mind. I wonder if this will be a movie or series someday. I loved Marx especially, being the charming, cocky person he was 🥰
SpoilerHim getting shot though devastated me and I had to dry my tears very discreetly, reading this on a plane! The way it was written out read like a game and hit me hard.
Even if you aren’t a fan of fandom and games, this is a must read for anyone navigating friendships, love and a whole lot of trauma. The way Gabrielle Zevin writes is great ✨ I am off to sit and wallow in my feelings now!

emwilliams's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

jennikreads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

lunarsace's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

I loved the book, but I can't help but feel like a good chunk of it was the "failed to communicate" trope. Also,

Spoiler I absolutely hated the Dov segments, how he's seemingly forgiven despite being a groomer not once, BUT TWICE! And just felt sad for Sadie and the amount of casual Sexism she had to put up with. I understand that's the point, but she deserved to look back and think, huh, man that was totally unfair. Not to mention Sams pure misogyny towards the end of the book never being addressed, and I do find him making pioneer sweet, but his view on Marx and Sadie was really messed up and never cleared up. I understand that it doesn't need to end perfectly, but sams trauma is treated way more sympathetically by the characters and writer vs Sadies, who had given up so much and suffered so much but was still perceived as selfish and childish

If you want more positive comments, people have articulated the positives of the book way better than I ever could and I do wholeheartedly agree. I just needed to add my criticisms to the pile.

e11en's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

This book just stole my heart. It’s been a long time since a book made me sob, but this did it.

eli3823's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

amandapaige14's review

challenging emotional hopeful medium-paced

This writing is beautiful. Something about Zevin's words feel like being wrapped in a blanket on a chilly day while holding a warm cup of your favorite hot beverage. I wanted to cry at times, I smiled, I laughed out loud. Some of the most beautiful writing I've read in a wwhile.

alysereadsbooks's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

One of my favorite books this year! It reminded me slightly of A Little Life because it follows friendships over a lifetime, physical disability, and trauma. I thought the video game component was so fun and intriguing and I learned a lot about the video game industry in general. I loved the exploration of Korean identity.

I had mixed feelings about Sam's character overall felt similar to Jude from A Little Life. While I appreciated the disability representation as an amputee and chronically ill, I found him a bit annoying at times. He felt a bit like a 'pick me' character regarding his relationship with Sadie and Marx.

Overall, I enjoyed the style of Gabrielle Zevin's prose and the way they created such dynamic, realistic (and at times, unlikeable) characters.

leahjune11's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced