Reviews tagging Mental illness

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

hannalizzy's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

This book was so beautifully written. The story plays out like an actual life, full of its raging beauty and sharp ugliness. I read it at the recommendation of John Green, and I can see why he enjoyed it. It has a bit of his poetic flair, and the characters have their unique quirks like his do. The characters are richly complex, and somehow lovable despite their very apparent flaws.

I wonder how I will feel about the ending after I’ve had more time to think about it. It felt like it lacked some of the finality I was hoping for in terms of Sadie and Sam’s relationship. I also felt like Sam and Sadie’s fights became a little too repetitive, but of course, c’est la vie.

I always love stories of characters encountering grief, loss, and depression in its most potent form and still figuring out how to manage to continue on. I think those kinds of triumphs are so important to read about in an age where poor mental health feels like a largely universal experience.

kscheffrahn's review

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

literarylion's review

challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really really liked this.

Pros:
  • Creative storytelling, well-paced; I haven't devoured a book like this for a long time
  • Incredible character development -- even minor characters are nuanced and three-dimensional
  • Innovative plot and setting -- a perspective we don't often see

Cons:
  • There was some pretty blatant borrowing from A Little Life, but I love that book, so!

nosophiesallowed's review against another edition

i feel like i’ve been reading this book for months yet it’s only been about 2-3 weeks? i was waiting to feel a connection and for me it just didn’t come :(

this is objectively a well written book i just think it’s a case of right book wrong person probably, either way it fell flat for me which is a shame.

maddie7217's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

sophiesometimesreads's review against another edition

emotional inspiring medium-paced

This was a rollercoaster of emotions but in a good way. I really enjoyed the reading experience.

The characters were frustrating but in a relatable way, though I wish Sadie had tried to communicate more but I can understand her reluctance to seeing as Sam was often closed off. In saying this, I didn’t feel like this negatively impacted the reading experience as they were still well-rounded and real characters, and their actions and attitudes reflected their experiences.

The storyline was emotional and made you feel for these characters in a multitude of different ways, often despite how you may have felt about their recent actions.

I enjoyed the writing style and the pacing of the book was good. I liked how it didn’t dwell on the games and creation of games, but the impact these games and experiences had on the characters instead.

toriauricht's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

isleoflinds's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

I went into this book with mixed expectations. I tried reading it when it was first released, but couldn't get into it. When it started getting a lot of attention, I heard a negative review for it that made it sound really interesting, so I took another shot. As an ace person who is pretty steeped in nerd culture, I was really excited for a story sold as "two friends who were often in love -- but never lovers." To that end, I was not disappointed. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow delivered all the gaming nostalgia and a heart-tugging story about a different kind of love. However, there were elements of the book - especially the second half -  that were tedious and, at least to me, undercut a lot of the first half seemed to build up to.

I thought that the characters - Sadie and Sam - were really well-rounded and flawed, but believable people. I was disappointed in the development of the character Marx, who felt most often like a plot device despite also appearing to be almost as significant as Sam and Sadie. Many of the tropes included about halfway through also felt unnecessary and I think a lot of the tension between Sadie and Sam could have happened without employing them. In general, I think Sadie's story was marred by too many gender-related difficulties. I know that being a woman in tech (now, but especially in the 90s) was difficult, but the bulk of the harm she experienced wasn't even related to her work, and I just wish we could have seen her face other issues.

The structure of the book was incredibly compelling - it is built around the vague idea that each "part" is its own game. Especially in the first half of the book, I could really feel the themes aligning with the structure of the book in an intriguing way. The story took a lot of turns in the second half that were just not for me (
Spoilermiscommunication trope, two accidental pregnancy tropes for the same character, dead baby daddy, and just a general waste of what could have been a really enlightening use of the NPC chapter concept.
) and I do think it affected my reading. The execution of Part IV was by far my favorite use of the novel's video game structure, however, and made the closeout of the story more satisfying.

Overall, I think that Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow had great bones for a story, I just wish it had been a little shorter and/or that it had spent more time considering the significance of Marx. In a story about the complex ways that people can love one another, Marx was central to this, and making <spoilers>the NPC</spoilers> seemed more of an afterthought to be profound rather.

My final very small complaint is the little statement at the end about <spoilers>"this generation thinking their whole personality is their trauma." I am a millennial, so perhaps this very Gen X sentiment just isn't for me, but in 2022, the inclusion of this bit feels quite purposeful. It was said and largely abandoned, squeezed in at the end and unexplored. Why say something that significant and then end the book with "oh I guess maybe our trauma made us who we are too... or maybe not!" Trauma use colloquially often refers to 'the difficult things I have experienced in my life that give me perspective on the world and how I interact with it.' Perhaps this is nuanced, but it just felt quite dismissive and not necessary.</spoilers>

mj16's review

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

jenmcreads's review

dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

I was conflicted throughout reading this book, but ultimately I did enjoy it. I would advise checking trigger warnings on this book as I think the way it is written can hit pretty hard on trigger points. What I loved in this book was the exploration of the value we place on romantic versus platonic relationships, given the central relationship in the book is platonic. The story was emotional, and well-paced given its sweeping timeline. I did not love the handling of mental health in all cases, but that is to a degree a matter of personal preference. I would definitely recommend this book, however would caution to read when you feel fairly stable in your own mental health. (Specific minor spoilers hidden with spoiler tag)

SpoilerI was honestly particularly upset by the use of a background character's suicide to propel the plot of main characters who did not even know her. That felt emotionally manipulative and exploitive to me and it was a part of the book I struggled to move past. Similarly, I felt the treatment of abortion was quite glib and did not add much.