Reviews tagging Panic attacks/disorders

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

emontenegro18's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

lunarsace's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

I loved the book, but I can't help but feel like a good chunk of it was the "failed to communicate" trope. Also,

Spoiler I absolutely hated the Dov segments, how he's seemingly forgiven despite being a groomer not once, BUT TWICE! And just felt sad for Sadie and the amount of casual Sexism she had to put up with. I understand that's the point, but she deserved to look back and think, huh, man that was totally unfair. Not to mention Sams pure misogyny towards the end of the book never being addressed, and I do find him making pioneer sweet, but his view on Marx and Sadie was really messed up and never cleared up. I understand that it doesn't need to end perfectly, but sams trauma is treated way more sympathetically by the characters and writer vs Sadies, who had given up so much and suffered so much but was still perceived as selfish and childish

If you want more positive comments, people have articulated the positives of the book way better than I ever could and I do wholeheartedly agree. I just needed to add my criticisms to the pile.

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

corncake's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

Goodness…I absolutely loved this book! The story and the characters are so emotionally complex that I found myself lost in every word - refusing to stop reading. I wanted to play the games the characters built in this novel, and I’m honestly upset that I can’t, but what craft that this author has to make me want to play a video game that isn’t even real. This book is as memorable as it is heart-wrenching, and it might not be for everyone, but good gravy did I love it! I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to game.

wastingtime1994's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

This book took me far too long to read, in that i picked it up and was so underwhelmed I put it back down and did not real any book for over a week. But I trust the opinion of those who recommended it to me and knew there had to be something good coming. So I went from 17% complete to finished in one night. It may seem strange to give five stars to a book I nearly DNFed, but I believe this book has earned it.
I don’t have much to say about the story. It’s heartbreaking and made me realize just how sad I am in my own life right now. I wish to live in the game of Pioneer forever. I wish this book could go on forever because it is one of the few worlds I have been more attached to than my own life. Nothing bad could happen between these pages - to me at least; it’s different for the other characters.

I should read this again. But I should shower and eat and sleep first. I will return.

5.0/5.0

maximauve's review

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

abbyjb's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

calebg's review against another edition

dark sad slow-paced

purplepenning's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

Full review to come. Probably. A compelling story of friendship and love and survival and pain, about knowing and being known, about story and play and vulnerability and trauma and context — all unfolding in the Shakespearean world of game development.