eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

scorpstar77's review

emotional reflective slow-paced

lindsayerin's review

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

kponturo's review

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

emontenegro18's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

natverse's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

I knew I'd love this book so this review is a little unfair. I purposely didn't read anything about this book or look at any reviews, not because I believe it can be spoiled—I, like one of the main characters, don't believe a story can be spoiled because it's more about your journey through the story and how you get to the end. I also knew, going in, if this was like AJ Fikry it would be slower and likely not end with a huge bang. And I like it that way because it suits this story. I was absolutely emotionally compromised by a very specific chapter and you'll know when you get to it. Once again, Gabrielle Zevin's writing begs to be savoured and enjoyed leisurely. Always a pleasure to read.

shakakan's review

adventurous dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

onebook_more's review

dark emotional informative reflective medium-paced

I read tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow after it received a glowing recommendation by John Green. The story centres around  Sam and Sadie, who meet in childhood and bond over a love of games but lose touch after a perceived betrayal. They reconnect in college and the bulk of the plot follows them as they break into the gaming industry and we witness their complex relationship and how it evolves over time.

I will say, I am not the target audience for this book. I have never completed a video game, and gaming culture means very little to me. Many reviews claimed that interest in gaming is not necessary to enjoy this book but I would say it definitely wouldn't hurt. I very much enjoyed the writing, it was clever and thoughtful. Overall the plot was enjoyable and well structured with a satisfying conclusion.  My only gripe with the writing is that the pace was a little slow for me, perhaps because I was not interested in the concept.

Most of the characters were excellent and managed to be complex and multidimensional while also having redeeming qualities.   Where I struggled most with this book was the character of Sam. I find it very difficult to enjoy books with protagonists who are simply unlikeable and that was how I felt about this character. While I appreciated the inclusion of a character who deals with chronic pain, grief childhood illness and felt this was handled well, I felt as if we were supposed to excuse his horrible behaviour because of these issues. I will admit, that there was definite character growth in the latter quarter of the book but by that point, I had already lost interest.

Overall, I would recommend this book mostly to people who either have an interest in gaming/the games industry or enjoy books that centre on complex and/or difficult characters. There are also some quite sensitive themes covered (listed in the content warning below) so I would enter in with an awareness of those,

corncake's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

Goodness…I absolutely loved this book! The story and the characters are so emotionally complex that I found myself lost in every word - refusing to stop reading. I wanted to play the games the characters built in this novel, and I’m honestly upset that I can’t, but what craft that this author has to make me want to play a video game that isn’t even real. This book is as memorable as it is heart-wrenching, and it might not be for everyone, but good gravy did I love it! I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to game.