Reviews tagging Sexual content

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

owenwilsonbaby's review

dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"Maybe it was the willingness to play that hinted at a tender, eternally newborn part in all humans. Maybe it was the willingness to play that kept one from despair."

A book that had so many lines I wanted to include here that I actually found it pretty hard to choose. Zevin has crafted such a wonderful piece of art. There are so many layers to this that I think I need to reread it almost immediately. The entire last third made me want to ugly cry. Every scene of this book was on the surface about moving its tightly-wound plot onward, yet simultaneously managed to further an extraordinary portrait of play, art, ethics, performance, love and sex, disability and illness, relationships and family. Zevin's ideas about these varied topics are finely painted, always finding room for levity, lightness, nuance and exploration. At the same time, the scenes that lean more heavily into these themes never feel like they lack depth. If anything, the lightness of touch here in everything from narrative voice to plotting to recurrent images and motifs felt carefully considered. I learned so much about the gaming world and its history which I have never really interacted with before. And yet most of all I feel the novel's important insights boiled down to how humans relate to and care for another. That despite everything, in the end, love can be very simple. The conversation with Dong Hyun near the ending of the book where he incredulously looks at Sam and says "Are you kidding? [...] Everything is funny now." Insane. I wanted to sob.

eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

jpratt7's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

elliesberrie's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

emontenegro18's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

serena_hien's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

friendofdorothea's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted sad fast-paced

wastingtime1994's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

This book took me far too long to read, in that i picked it up and was so underwhelmed I put it back down and did not real any book for over a week. But I trust the opinion of those who recommended it to me and knew there had to be something good coming. So I went from 17% complete to finished in one night. It may seem strange to give five stars to a book I nearly DNFed, but I believe this book has earned it.
I don’t have much to say about the story. It’s heartbreaking and made me realize just how sad I am in my own life right now. I wish to live in the game of Pioneer forever. I wish this book could go on forever because it is one of the few worlds I have been more attached to than my own life. Nothing bad could happen between these pages - to me at least; it’s different for the other characters.

I should read this again. But I should shower and eat and sleep first. I will return.

5.0/5.0

anniereads221's review

challenging reflective slow-paced

havlisar's review

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

This book is phenomenal. I don't think I have ever read anything like it. Of you're a fan of video games, deep life long friendships, and authentic flawed human characterization, this is the book you need to read. Zevin wrote such a engaging story that includes the full spectrum of human experience. The happy parts were beautiful and the sad parts made me cry. The pacing was slow but I couldn't put it down for very long. A favorite book for sure.