Reviews tagging Suicide

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

souplover2001's review against another edition

hopeful tense medium-paced

you can fit so much love into a story about game developers!!!!!!!!!

abbyhoffer's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

gabriel7372's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

liv2199's review

challenging emotional funny reflective slow-paced

thepudding's review

The depiction of suicide felt exploitative, and I didn’t have enough trust in the author to keep reading

inknosedowl's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

I really enjoyed the first half of this book. I enjoyed getting to know Sam and Sadie and the friendship they built. After the story started happening more I started to kind of get bored with what was happening.
Spoiler
I don’t know if I was just disappointed that Sadie and Sam weren’t getting along or if it was the story itself, but after a while it started to feel like it was slow paced. The twist near the end with Marx I feel came out of no where. Of course it did how can you expect something like that? But still not all what I was expecting in the book.
There were a few troupes in the book I don’t enjoy like miscommunication and pregnancy so that also made it a little les enjoyable. Over all it’s a fun gamer story I enjoyed and it was pretty well written.

danaaliyalevinson's review

dark emotional funny hopeful sad fast-paced

Structurally interesting and a fun premise. But the entire plot hinged on characters deliberately miscommunicating with each other and refusing to be honest about their feelings. The whole plot would’ve fallen apart with one honest conversation between the main characters. For me, this made them increasingly unlikable and the story increasingly frustrating.

eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

miak2's review

challenging emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"What is a 'programmer'? ... A programmer is a diviner of possible outcomes, and a seer of unseen worlds." p. 351

Here's my hot take: Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is the book that Normal People wanted to be. An intense, uncomfortable look into the unhealthy relationship between two young individuals with their own traumas. Don't get me wrong, both Sam and Sadie were incredibly frustrating characters. Both had the capacity to be selfish and cruel. Neither had developed particularly good communication skills. But their interactions always felt incredibly honest; it was never miscommunication for the sake of miscommunication. I could see myself in the best and the worst parts of each of them, and Marx too, and that made for a really special reading experience. (It also made for a very frustrating reading experience, as neither character was particularly likeable for large stretches of the book, but at the very least their cruelty could be empathized with and understood).

A few weeks ago, I made a comment to a friend that we don't see enough 'quirky' interactions between characters in books. Stupid inside jokes, dumb humor, etc. This book had it in spades and it was so refreshing. The twenty-something year-olds felt like me and my friends, laughing over stupid things that nobody else would find amusing and running with jokes long after they stopped being funny until they're suddenly funny again. In a similar vein, Zevin's descriptions of the most mundane things felt incredibly grounded in the weird way that our brains make observations and connections. I loved it all.

The other thing I loved about this book was the creativity Zevin demonstrated with her writing. For one, you could tell that this was a love story to video games, written by someone who's intimately familiar with them. Not only did this show in her references, but in some very specific creative chapter structures. We got a chapter in second person, some interview blurbs, and one chapter entirely through the eyes of a player character in a game. These came at pivotal moments in the book, and the emotion that came with them was all the stronger as a result of the way the chapter was written. There was so much sentimentality towards the end of the book, a testament to all that these characters went through over the past thirty years, with some really emotional call-backs that were well-integrated into the story.

I thought Zevin wrapped up the story perfectly; I would've been disappointed with any more or less. And I'm while left with this disappointment that I'll never experience Ichigo or Mapleworld, I felt sufficiently immersed in the games as I read about them, so I guess that just means I'll have to re-read at some point.

jdamae11's review

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I needed a day to process why this book was so special for me. This book was just so satisfying and heartfelt, and an incredible journey exploring the special and deep kind of love that friendships, especially lifelong ones, allow us to experience in life. Not only was I emotionally attached to our two main characters, but I felt like EVERYONE in the book was so well developed and REAL. I laughed, got really tense and frustrated, and sobbed. I literally cried in the shower a whole day later thinking about things that happened in this book. Zevin I think does an amazing job tackling grief, chosen family, chronic illness, depression, hustle culture, generational changes, and the messy complicatedness of relationships. I was really struck by how she was able to paint so clearly the ways miscommunication and avoidance can completely derail even the strongest of friendships over time, and I felt myself screaming at the characters to just talk to each other 😂 i think in the middle it got a little tedious and I was wondering where it was going, but to be fair this was also paralleling what our characters were experiencing at the time — jadedness and frustration at being stuck. I can’t do this book justice with all its well placed moments and connecting threads, but I think the best thing about this for me was that the author makes the book feel like a game itself. There’s so many little gems you figure out she’s done style wise after you read a section and are like OHHHH WOWWW I SEE WHAT SHE DID THERE!! It’s the exact feeling you get when you’ve passed a really hard level in a video game or figured out the “trick” or “plot twist” to a game or show.  There is amazing continuity, EVERYTHING always circles it’s way back to an earlier moment, it’s so satisfying. As someone who escaped into video games as a kid and still loves them, this story was personal too. A lot of it was also set in L.A. and made me miss it there so much, Zevin painted it so well. I think if you’re not a gamer or less familiar with the settings it may feel less special, but should still be a great read. I got this from the library but am buying it so I can have it forever!