Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

royam's review

reflective medium-paced

I have complicated feelings about this book. On one hand,  I felt like
SpoilerMarx's death
was not necessary to have character development. Life can be hard but it doesn't need to be hard every time. On the other hand, I really enjoy that the characters are human and complicated. Relationships, platonic or romantic, are never clear-cut. The more you open up to someone, the more vulnerable you are. But if you always keep yourself at a distance, then no one will ever truly understand you. The struggles with failure and success were super relatable and personal. As a gamer, I loved each game's progress and the characters' differing experiences with every game.

bpwagoner's review

challenging dark emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

This is a book about life and loss and failure and identity. It's very beautiful, it's sometimes funny, it's always interesting. I will be thinking about this one for a long time, and I am already looking forward to a reread. You can tell that the author spent an appropriately long time building these characters, their world, and their lives. The characters are lovable, infuriatingly flawed, slow to change, and messily human. The events are so realistic and immersive that you question which elements are historical truth and which ones are fictional — it's that seamless. Other books attempt this (Daisy Jones and the Six comes to mind) but none so successfully. The traumas and heartbreaks described are quite heavy, and I recommend checking the content warnings. 5 stars, and thank you to the Bad Bitch Book Club for making this the September pick as well as my many friends who recommended it too.

chambersaurusrx's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

liv2199's review

challenging emotional funny reflective slow-paced

thepudding's review

The depiction of suicide felt exploitative, and I didn’t have enough trust in the author to keep reading

eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

lindsayerin's review

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

jennikreads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

kponturo's review

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

liblibby's review

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

For some reason, I thought that because this book centers around video game developers, it would not be for me, so I put off reading it. Don't be like me! If anything about this book (even just the gorgeous cover art) appeals to you, pick it up and read it. If you missed our IG stories where I fumbled over how much I love it, read on for my review:
Sam and Sadie met when they were children in 1993 and immediately bonded over gaming. Six years later, they've teamed up to start making their own. Over the years, we celebrate their joys, mourn their tragedies, commiserate in their frustrations, and fall in and out of love over and over again in different ways.
This is an epic, sweeping novel that spans generations. It explores all the different ways that our longest relationships evolve and morph over time. It is, at its heart, a love letter to life itself if I may be so pretentious. This will go down as one of my favorite books of all time--I already know it.