Reviews tagging Violence

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

royam's review

reflective medium-paced

I have complicated feelings about this book. On one hand,  I felt like
SpoilerMarx's death
was not necessary to have character development. Life can be hard but it doesn't need to be hard every time. On the other hand, I really enjoy that the characters are human and complicated. Relationships, platonic or romantic, are never clear-cut. The more you open up to someone, the more vulnerable you are. But if you always keep yourself at a distance, then no one will ever truly understand you. The struggles with failure and success were super relatable and personal. As a gamer, I loved each game's progress and the characters' differing experiences with every game.

elliesberrie's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

friendofdorothea's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted sad fast-paced

natverse's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

I knew I'd love this book so this review is a little unfair. I purposely didn't read anything about this book or look at any reviews, not because I believe it can be spoiled—I, like one of the main characters, don't believe a story can be spoiled because it's more about your journey through the story and how you get to the end. I also knew, going in, if this was like AJ Fikry it would be slower and likely not end with a huge bang. And I like it that way because it suits this story. I was absolutely emotionally compromised by a very specific chapter and you'll know when you get to it. Once again, Gabrielle Zevin's writing begs to be savoured and enjoyed leisurely. Always a pleasure to read.

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

anniereads221's review

challenging reflective slow-paced

ashleysbookthoughts's review

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

Do you need to read another glowing review of this book? Probably not, but I adored it so I wrote one anyway.

First off, I am not a gamer, but I did grow up with Oregon Trail, so there were some nice nostalgic moments there. But you don’t have to know or care about video games to enjoy this novel. Video games play a major role, yes, but really this is the story of Sam and Sadie’s friendship. The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with Zevin’s ability to provide so much context and information about video game design without info dumping. She seamlessly weaves it into the story, which is hard to do.

Sam and Sadie (particularly Sadie, IMO) are frustrating. They hold grudges, stay silent when they should talk to each other, try to hide their struggles, assume that no one else could possibly hurt the way they do, and often assume the worst about each other. But real people are frustrating and do all of those things. While I sometimes wanted to shake some sense into them, their actions never felt unbelievable, particularly given how they both had some serious interruptions to their social development as kids.

The shifting perspective was essential in not viewing either Sam or Sadie as the good guy or the bad guy. Like in life, they were both. But the absolute best part was the section titled The NPC. This was a shift in perspective that could have been a disaster, but was executed so perfectly, was so emotionally resonant, that I’m still thinking about it, days later.

Anyway, the hype is real. If you’ve somehow missed this one, here’s your sign to pick it up!

CW: cancer, car accident, death of a parent, medical content, gun violence, sexism, racism, suicide, homophobia

lizcastner's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

jai_martin's review

challenging emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

oyveyori's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

Exceptional, and I say this as someone who didn’t care about video games before this book.