oceanwriter's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is such a touching, human story about the ups and downs of friendship. It's been a long time since I've been so deeply captivated by a storyline.

The story follows Sadie and Sam from their childhood friendship through to adulthood. Having met in the hospital, it's needless to say that their relationship hasn't always been easy. As with most long-term friendships, there is an ebb and flow. This becomes especially true in college and their adult lives when they become collaborators. While the center of the plot is on the ups and downs of their friendship/partnership, we also get to know them as individuals.

There is a lot happening in this book. I can't pretend that I followed every bit word for word when I'm at best a casual gamer. There were parts I didn't understand or plain had no interest in. But the overall story? I loved it. Sam's flashbacks were my favorite hands down. While I didn't particularly love the characters themselves (or rather, I didn't find myself attached to or deeply relating to them), I thoroughly enjoyed their stories and journeys. It's a heavy read, but such a great example of the human condition. The video game nostalgia is fun, too!

literarylion's review

challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really really liked this.

Pros:
  • Creative storytelling, well-paced; I haven't devoured a book like this for a long time
  • Incredible character development -- even minor characters are nuanced and three-dimensional
  • Innovative plot and setting -- a perspective we don't often see

Cons:
  • There was some pretty blatant borrowing from A Little Life, but I love that book, so!

nosophiesallowed's review against another edition

i feel like i’ve been reading this book for months yet it’s only been about 2-3 weeks? i was waiting to feel a connection and for me it just didn’t come :(

this is objectively a well written book i just think it’s a case of right book wrong person probably, either way it fell flat for me which is a shame.

maddie7217's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

sophiesometimesreads's review against another edition

emotional inspiring medium-paced

This was a rollercoaster of emotions but in a good way. I really enjoyed the reading experience.

The characters were frustrating but in a relatable way, though I wish Sadie had tried to communicate more but I can understand her reluctance to seeing as Sam was often closed off. In saying this, I didn’t feel like this negatively impacted the reading experience as they were still well-rounded and real characters, and their actions and attitudes reflected their experiences.

The storyline was emotional and made you feel for these characters in a multitude of different ways, often despite how you may have felt about their recent actions.

I enjoyed the writing style and the pacing of the book was good. I liked how it didn’t dwell on the games and creation of games, but the impact these games and experiences had on the characters instead.

toriauricht's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

isleoflinds's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

I went into this book with mixed expectations. I tried reading it when it was first released, but couldn't get into it. When it started getting a lot of attention, I heard a negative review for it that made it sound really interesting, so I took another shot. As an ace person who is pretty steeped in nerd culture, I was really excited for a story sold as "two friends who were often in love -- but never lovers." To that end, I was not disappointed. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow delivered all the gaming nostalgia and a heart-tugging story about a different kind of love. However, there were elements of the book - especially the second half -  that were tedious and, at least to me, undercut a lot of the first half seemed to build up to.

I thought that the characters - Sadie and Sam - were really well-rounded and flawed, but believable people. I was disappointed in the development of the character Marx, who felt most often like a plot device despite also appearing to be almost as significant as Sam and Sadie. Many of the tropes included about halfway through also felt unnecessary and I think a lot of the tension between Sadie and Sam could have happened without employing them. In general, I think Sadie's story was marred by too many gender-related difficulties. I know that being a woman in tech (now, but especially in the 90s) was difficult, but the bulk of the harm she experienced wasn't even related to her work, and I just wish we could have seen her face other issues.

The structure of the book was incredibly compelling - it is built around the vague idea that each "part" is its own game. Especially in the first half of the book, I could really feel the themes aligning with the structure of the book in an intriguing way. The story took a lot of turns in the second half that were just not for me (
Spoilermiscommunication trope, two accidental pregnancy tropes for the same character, dead baby daddy, and just a general waste of what could have been a really enlightening use of the NPC chapter concept.
) and I do think it affected my reading. The execution of Part IV was by far my favorite use of the novel's video game structure, however, and made the closeout of the story more satisfying.

Overall, I think that Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow had great bones for a story, I just wish it had been a little shorter and/or that it had spent more time considering the significance of Marx. In a story about the complex ways that people can love one another, Marx was central to this, and making <spoilers>the NPC</spoilers> seemed more of an afterthought to be profound rather.

My final very small complaint is the little statement at the end about <spoilers>"this generation thinking their whole personality is their trauma." I am a millennial, so perhaps this very Gen X sentiment just isn't for me, but in 2022, the inclusion of this bit feels quite purposeful. It was said and largely abandoned, squeezed in at the end and unexplored. Why say something that significant and then end the book with "oh I guess maybe our trauma made us who we are too... or maybe not!" Trauma use colloquially often refers to 'the difficult things I have experienced in my life that give me perspective on the world and how I interact with it.' Perhaps this is nuanced, but it just felt quite dismissive and not necessary.</spoilers>

thechadow's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

trinamarie's review

Beautifully written book about friendship and love.

cinnaminskies's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced