Reviews tagging Car accident

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

amanda_reads13's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

oceanwriter's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is such a touching, human story about the ups and downs of friendship. It's been a long time since I've been so deeply captivated by a storyline.

The story follows Sadie and Sam from their childhood friendship through to adulthood. Having met in the hospital, it's needless to say that their relationship hasn't always been easy. As with most long-term friendships, there is an ebb and flow. This becomes especially true in college and their adult lives when they become collaborators. While the center of the plot is on the ups and downs of their friendship/partnership, we also get to know them as individuals.

There is a lot happening in this book. I can't pretend that I followed every bit word for word when I'm at best a casual gamer. There were parts I didn't understand or plain had no interest in. But the overall story? I loved it. Sam's flashbacks were my favorite hands down. While I didn't particularly love the characters themselves (or rather, I didn't find myself attached to or deeply relating to them), I thoroughly enjoyed their stories and journeys. It's a heavy read, but such a great example of the human condition. The video game nostalgia is fun, too!

literarylion's review

challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really really liked this.

Pros:
  • Creative storytelling, well-paced; I haven't devoured a book like this for a long time
  • Incredible character development -- even minor characters are nuanced and three-dimensional
  • Innovative plot and setting -- a perspective we don't often see

Cons:
  • There was some pretty blatant borrowing from A Little Life, but I love that book, so!

nightstitch96's review

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

I loved this so much. Everything I was looking for and more

emilycmarshman's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

capitolsara's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

Honestly leaving this book (literally just closed the kindle) a little conflicted. I thought it was incredibly well written, almost to a fault with the amount of nickel words that were thrown in there. I liked the timeline aspect and jumping through years but I think I got a bit lost post 2005 and could have used more dates to ground. It was also much more Jewish than I expected it to be which was a great surprise and if I ever go back and reread I would want to reflect on the more subtle Jewish elements that are probably on display but not as apparent when I was so engrossed on the story.

SpoilerWhen the shooting happened, I was fully gripped. I do wish I had known to expect that going in but understand I'm not sensitive to spoilers. Somehow I knew Marx would die from when he got with Sadie but I guess I expected a video game death and not the long drawn out chapter. But that chapter was my favorite and I had to actively stop myself from continuing because it was 10:30 pm and I knew I'd stay up to read the next 1/4 of the book

nosophiesallowed's review against another edition

i feel like i’ve been reading this book for months yet it’s only been about 2-3 weeks? i was waiting to feel a connection and for me it just didn’t come :(

this is objectively a well written book i just think it’s a case of right book wrong person probably, either way it fell flat for me which is a shame.

cindy_reads's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

rokami's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

This is… probably the best book I’ve ever read. Gabrielle Zevin created some of the most wonderful characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting, and manages to flawlessly take us through the many trials and tribulations of their lives from their college years and into their 40s.

If you love video games, if you love strong characters, or if you love reading about love and the human experience… please do yourself a favor and read this book. It’s the kind of book I wish I could teach in a literature course.

maddie7217's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced