Reviews tagging Death of parent

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

mikith's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

owenwilsonbaby's review

dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"Maybe it was the willingness to play that hinted at a tender, eternally newborn part in all humans. Maybe it was the willingness to play that kept one from despair."

A book that had so many lines I wanted to include here that I actually found it pretty hard to choose. Zevin has crafted such a wonderful piece of art. There are so many layers to this that I think I need to reread it almost immediately. The entire last third made me want to ugly cry. Every scene of this book was on the surface about moving its tightly-wound plot onward, yet simultaneously managed to further an extraordinary portrait of play, art, ethics, performance, love and sex, disability and illness, relationships and family. Zevin's ideas about these varied topics are finely painted, always finding room for levity, lightness, nuance and exploration. At the same time, the scenes that lean more heavily into these themes never feel like they lack depth. If anything, the lightness of touch here in everything from narrative voice to plotting to recurrent images and motifs felt carefully considered. I learned so much about the gaming world and its history which I have never really interacted with before. And yet most of all I feel the novel's important insights boiled down to how humans relate to and care for another. That despite everything, in the end, love can be very simple. The conversation with Dong Hyun near the ending of the book where he incredulously looks at Sam and says "Are you kidding? [...] Everything is funny now." Insane. I wanted to sob.

lex_mags's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense slow-paced

royam's review

reflective medium-paced

I have complicated feelings about this book. On one hand,  I felt like
SpoilerMarx's death
was not necessary to have character development. Life can be hard but it doesn't need to be hard every time. On the other hand, I really enjoy that the characters are human and complicated. Relationships, platonic or romantic, are never clear-cut. The more you open up to someone, the more vulnerable you are. But if you always keep yourself at a distance, then no one will ever truly understand you. The struggles with failure and success were super relatable and personal. As a gamer, I loved each game's progress and the characters' differing experiences with every game.

bpwagoner's review

challenging dark emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

This is a book about life and loss and failure and identity. It's very beautiful, it's sometimes funny, it's always interesting. I will be thinking about this one for a long time, and I am already looking forward to a reread. You can tell that the author spent an appropriately long time building these characters, their world, and their lives. The characters are lovable, infuriatingly flawed, slow to change, and messily human. The events are so realistic and immersive that you question which elements are historical truth and which ones are fictional — it's that seamless. Other books attempt this (Daisy Jones and the Six comes to mind) but none so successfully. The traumas and heartbreaks described are quite heavy, and I recommend checking the content warnings. 5 stars, and thank you to the Bad Bitch Book Club for making this the September pick as well as my many friends who recommended it too.

gabriel7372's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

thepudding's review

The depiction of suicide felt exploitative, and I didn’t have enough trust in the author to keep reading

thereadinggradstudent's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

jdamae11's review

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I needed a day to process why this book was so special for me. This book was just so satisfying and heartfelt, and an incredible journey exploring the special and deep kind of love that friendships, especially lifelong ones, allow us to experience in life. Not only was I emotionally attached to our two main characters, but I felt like EVERYONE in the book was so well developed and REAL. I laughed, got really tense and frustrated, and sobbed. I literally cried in the shower a whole day later thinking about things that happened in this book. Zevin I think does an amazing job tackling grief, chosen family, chronic illness, depression, hustle culture, generational changes, and the messy complicatedness of relationships. I was really struck by how she was able to paint so clearly the ways miscommunication and avoidance can completely derail even the strongest of friendships over time, and I felt myself screaming at the characters to just talk to each other 😂 i think in the middle it got a little tedious and I was wondering where it was going, but to be fair this was also paralleling what our characters were experiencing at the time — jadedness and frustration at being stuck. I can’t do this book justice with all its well placed moments and connecting threads, but I think the best thing about this for me was that the author makes the book feel like a game itself. There’s so many little gems you figure out she’s done style wise after you read a section and are like OHHHH WOWWW I SEE WHAT SHE DID THERE!! It’s the exact feeling you get when you’ve passed a really hard level in a video game or figured out the “trick” or “plot twist” to a game or show.  There is amazing continuity, EVERYTHING always circles it’s way back to an earlier moment, it’s so satisfying. As someone who escaped into video games as a kid and still loves them, this story was personal too. A lot of it was also set in L.A. and made me miss it there so much, Zevin painted it so well. I think if you’re not a gamer or less familiar with the settings it may feel less special, but should still be a great read. I got this from the library but am buying it so I can have it forever!