gabriel7372's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

miak2's review

challenging emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"What is a 'programmer'? ... A programmer is a diviner of possible outcomes, and a seer of unseen worlds." p. 351

Here's my hot take: Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is the book that Normal People wanted to be. An intense, uncomfortable look into the unhealthy relationship between two young individuals with their own traumas. Don't get me wrong, both Sam and Sadie were incredibly frustrating characters. Both had the capacity to be selfish and cruel. Neither had developed particularly good communication skills. But their interactions always felt incredibly honest; it was never miscommunication for the sake of miscommunication. I could see myself in the best and the worst parts of each of them, and Marx too, and that made for a really special reading experience. (It also made for a very frustrating reading experience, as neither character was particularly likeable for large stretches of the book, but at the very least their cruelty could be empathized with and understood).

A few weeks ago, I made a comment to a friend that we don't see enough 'quirky' interactions between characters in books. Stupid inside jokes, dumb humor, etc. This book had it in spades and it was so refreshing. The twenty-something year-olds felt like me and my friends, laughing over stupid things that nobody else would find amusing and running with jokes long after they stopped being funny until they're suddenly funny again. In a similar vein, Zevin's descriptions of the most mundane things felt incredibly grounded in the weird way that our brains make observations and connections. I loved it all.

The other thing I loved about this book was the creativity Zevin demonstrated with her writing. For one, you could tell that this was a love story to video games, written by someone who's intimately familiar with them. Not only did this show in her references, but in some very specific creative chapter structures. We got a chapter in second person, some interview blurbs, and one chapter entirely through the eyes of a player character in a game. These came at pivotal moments in the book, and the emotion that came with them was all the stronger as a result of the way the chapter was written. There was so much sentimentality towards the end of the book, a testament to all that these characters went through over the past thirty years, with some really emotional call-backs that were well-integrated into the story.

I thought Zevin wrapped up the story perfectly; I would've been disappointed with any more or less. And I'm while left with this disappointment that I'll never experience Ichigo or Mapleworld, I felt sufficiently immersed in the games as I read about them, so I guess that just means I'll have to re-read at some point.

jaji's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

I'm not usually one for contemporary/literary novels but I enjoyed this one.

The writing was smart and crisp. It also invoked nostalgia for me, for the games I've played and the childhood I have. I didn't know much about early game development so that was fun to learn.

All the characters have their flaws, but not in a way that makes them truly awful. I think Zevin does justice to how messy our relationships can be.

She also does justice to showcasing the experiences of people who might have our class systems stacked against them.

jennikreads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

unoriginalinspiration's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective relaxing sad fast-paced

A thoroughly accurate depiction of the nuances of the technological world and real life, this book was something I was fully able to indulge in from Beginning to end. The book talks about the deeply rooted friendship of Sam Masur and Sadie Green, being ripped apart and glued back together, through a shared love of Video Games. Ranging from conversations about Illnesses, Disabilities, Family and Friendships, Homophobia, Patriarchy, Women in STEM, Loss, Grief, Toxic Relationships and Gun Violence, this book easily found it’s way to my heart. Being a student in tech myself, deriving comfort in shared experiences is not something I’ve been able to do in literature, until now.

friendofdorothea's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted sad fast-paced

shakakan's review

adventurous dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

eli3823's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

corncake's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

Goodness…I absolutely loved this book! The story and the characters are so emotionally complex that I found myself lost in every word - refusing to stop reading. I wanted to play the games the characters built in this novel, and I’m honestly upset that I can’t, but what craft that this author has to make me want to play a video game that isn’t even real. This book is as memorable as it is heart-wrenching, and it might not be for everyone, but good gravy did I love it! I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to game.