Reviews tagging Toxic friendship

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

owenwilsonbaby's review

dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"Maybe it was the willingness to play that hinted at a tender, eternally newborn part in all humans. Maybe it was the willingness to play that kept one from despair."

A book that had so many lines I wanted to include here that I actually found it pretty hard to choose. Zevin has crafted such a wonderful piece of art. There are so many layers to this that I think I need to reread it almost immediately. The entire last third made me want to ugly cry. Every scene of this book was on the surface about moving its tightly-wound plot onward, yet simultaneously managed to further an extraordinary portrait of play, art, ethics, performance, love and sex, disability and illness, relationships and family. Zevin's ideas about these varied topics are finely painted, always finding room for levity, lightness, nuance and exploration. At the same time, the scenes that lean more heavily into these themes never feel like they lack depth. If anything, the lightness of touch here in everything from narrative voice to plotting to recurrent images and motifs felt carefully considered. I learned so much about the gaming world and its history which I have never really interacted with before. And yet most of all I feel the novel's important insights boiled down to how humans relate to and care for another. That despite everything, in the end, love can be very simple. The conversation with Dong Hyun near the ending of the book where he incredulously looks at Sam and says "Are you kidding? [...] Everything is funny now." Insane. I wanted to sob.

lex_mags's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense slow-paced

bpwagoner's review

challenging dark emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

This is a book about life and loss and failure and identity. It's very beautiful, it's sometimes funny, it's always interesting. I will be thinking about this one for a long time, and I am already looking forward to a reread. You can tell that the author spent an appropriately long time building these characters, their world, and their lives. The characters are lovable, infuriatingly flawed, slow to change, and messily human. The events are so realistic and immersive that you question which elements are historical truth and which ones are fictional — it's that seamless. Other books attempt this (Daisy Jones and the Six comes to mind) but none so successfully. The traumas and heartbreaks described are quite heavy, and I recommend checking the content warnings. 5 stars, and thank you to the Bad Bitch Book Club for making this the September pick as well as my many friends who recommended it too.

eregriel's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

jennikreads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

xandraj's review

dark emotional slow-paced

shakakan's review

adventurous dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

alysereadsbooks's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

One of my favorite books this year! It reminded me slightly of A Little Life because it follows friendships over a lifetime, physical disability, and trauma. I thought the video game component was so fun and intriguing and I learned a lot about the video game industry in general. I loved the exploration of Korean identity.

I had mixed feelings about Sam's character overall felt similar to Jude from A Little Life. While I appreciated the disability representation as an amputee and chronically ill, I found him a bit annoying at times. He felt a bit like a 'pick me' character regarding his relationship with Sadie and Marx.

Overall, I enjoyed the style of Gabrielle Zevin's prose and the way they created such dynamic, realistic (and at times, unlikeable) characters.

kelsylee's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad tense slow-paced

I listened to the audiobook version of this and it was a challenge to finish it. The main narrator just felt a little too robotic. I really struggled with the first 3/4 of this book, I enjoyed the story but I thought Sam was so unlikable, however; the chapter about
SpoilerMarx dying
was beautiful, it was my favorite part of the whole book. I was really enjoying the last quarter of the book up until
SpoilerSam and Sadie’s reconnection, Sam’s grandfather dying was the most unnecessary plot point, they easily could have worked things out differently