owenwilsonbaby's review

dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

"Maybe it was the willingness to play that hinted at a tender, eternally newborn part in all humans. Maybe it was the willingness to play that kept one from despair."

A book that had so many lines I wanted to include here that I actually found it pretty hard to choose. Zevin has crafted such a wonderful piece of art. There are so many layers to this that I think I need to reread it almost immediately. The entire last third made me want to ugly cry. Every scene of this book was on the surface about moving its tightly-wound plot onward, yet simultaneously managed to further an extraordinary portrait of play, art, ethics, performance, love and sex, disability and illness, relationships and family. Zevin's ideas about these varied topics are finely painted, always finding room for levity, lightness, nuance and exploration. At the same time, the scenes that lean more heavily into these themes never feel like they lack depth. If anything, the lightness of touch here in everything from narrative voice to plotting to recurrent images and motifs felt carefully considered. I learned so much about the gaming world and its history which I have never really interacted with before. And yet most of all I feel the novel's important insights boiled down to how humans relate to and care for another. That despite everything, in the end, love can be very simple. The conversation with Dong Hyun near the ending of the book where he incredulously looks at Sam and says "Are you kidding? [...] Everything is funny now." Insane. I wanted to sob.

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

corncake's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

Goodness…I absolutely loved this book! The story and the characters are so emotionally complex that I found myself lost in every word - refusing to stop reading. I wanted to play the games the characters built in this novel, and I’m honestly upset that I can’t, but what craft that this author has to make me want to play a video game that isn’t even real. This book is as memorable as it is heart-wrenching, and it might not be for everyone, but good gravy did I love it! I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to game.

kelsylee's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad tense slow-paced

I listened to the audiobook version of this and it was a challenge to finish it. The main narrator just felt a little too robotic. I really struggled with the first 3/4 of this book, I enjoyed the story but I thought Sam was so unlikable, however; the chapter about
SpoilerMarx dying
was beautiful, it was my favorite part of the whole book. I was really enjoying the last quarter of the book up until
SpoilerSam and Sadie’s reconnection, Sam’s grandfather dying was the most unnecessary plot point, they easily could have worked things out differently

robin_reads's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

I don’t know how to rate this book--in the best way possible. It was not at all what I expected it to be. The nostalgia is real even though I was born in the 90s and missed a good chunk of the classics growing up and never cared to play them when I was older.
If you hate the miscommunication/misunderstood trope, this is not the book for you.
This book is honest about how fragile human connections are and how easily you can be misunderstood or how easy it is to offend people even if you had the best of intentions in what you were doing or saying.
It shows how complicated life is but also how easy it could’ve been.
It you loved video games growing up and you were born In The 80s or 90s, I think you’ll like this.
Don’t read the last 20-30 pages in public. Crying on the bus over a book is not a recommendable look

maryannc's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

deedireads's review

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

All my reviews live at https://deedispeaking.com/reads/.

TL;DR REVIEW:

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is definitely going to be one of my favorite books of 2022. Alternating between heartwarming and heartbreaking, it’s a beautiful book about friendship and the messiness (and hope) of life.

For you if: You like books that follow characters and their relationships across decades.

FULL REVIEW:

When John Green (who may not write in my usual genres, but is an incredible person) says an upcoming novel is “one of the best books [he’s] ever read,” you read it. I did not know this was a rule in my life before I heard about Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, but I’m glad I followed it nonetheless; it’s absolutely going to be one of my favorites of the year and a book I recommend to everyone.

You will hear this about T&T&T many times: that while the plot involves video games, it’s not really about video games. (Although if you do like video games, you’ll probably love this even more than I did.) It’s one of those novels that follows a handful of characters (two friends, Sam and Sadie, childhood best friends who go into business making video games together) and their relationship across decades (30 years, in this case). It’s about friendship and love and loss and hope and coming of age and the way life hurts but also gives us so much.

This book is alternatively heartwarming and heartbreaking, with two main (and several secondary) characters who are both deeply lovable and also very flawed and frustrating. You know how sometimes characters are so good that they stay in the back of your mind 24/7, even after you’ve put a book down or finished it? Sam, Sadie, and Sam’s college roommate Marx did that to me. I laughed and cried (def cried) and cheered for them and wanted to shake them and by the end, found that I loved them very much.

I won’t tell you how the book gets its title, because I think it arrives at exactly the right moment and makes everything this book is about just click. But take my word for it: it’s a perfect title. And you’ll be glad you read this book.

purplepenning's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

Full review to come. Probably. A compelling story of friendship and love and survival and pain, about knowing and being known, about story and play and vulnerability and trauma and context — all unfolding in the Shakespearean world of game development.

internationalreads's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

caseythereader's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

Thanks to AA Knopf for the free advance copy of this book.

- Honestly, TOMORROW AND TOMORROW AND TOMORROW is one of those books I'm not sure I can write a review about because I feel so intensely about it. It completely knocked the breath out of me, and I never wanted to leave its pages.
- Sam, Marx, and Sadie are a tender, complicated group, and following them through their ups and downs was both fulfilling and painful. I loved that this book showcases how your connections with people grow, change, stagnate, restart, and more throughout your life.
- They're all prickly and hard to love at times, but also, how could you do anything but love them deeply?
- The book is so well plotted too, with the narrator dropping little bits of foresight into the story, and the way themes and images recur throughout the characters' lives, whether they do it on purpose or it happens organically.
- Even if you don't know anything about video games, please give this one a try if you can. I think it's quite special. Do check the content warnings though, because there is some majorly heavy stuff in here.