Reviews tagging Sexual harassment

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

haleymaple's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

Loved this book. I loved the Shakespeare woven throughout, even in the most simple sentences. I loved getting to know and love these flawed and tormented characters. And I love this book explores love in all its forms - parent/child, parent/grandparent, deep deep friendship, partners, business partners, hobbies, theatre, art, simple beauty, life. How many times can I use the word love in one review?

laurenkimoto's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I love this book. New top tier book. The writing is *chefs kiss* it flows so smoothly and gently pulls the story where it needs to go. I love the characters; Sam, Sadie, and Marx are the found family I want. I know next to nothing about video games and computers but that didn’t matter. This book was about video games but more so it was about stories and love and the people in our lives.

meredithamadee's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

fazazzle's review

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

Did I read this book because John Green recommended it? Yes. However, I did not realize it was going to be so incredibly sad. Of course, the writing is brilliant, and Gabrielle Zevin has just masterfully crafted this novel. I simply was not prepared for the emotional whiplash it would put me through. I had to pause multiple times during the end of the book to remind myself that these characters weren’t real (as if that helps at all - since the circumstances they find themselves in are certainly real and vivid).

Watch out for the trigger warnings with this one, but it is definitely a beautifully crafted narrative.

magsdylan's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

I want to clarify that I am not a fiction reader- I read fantasy and I read young adult. I want to escape reality and have fun. This book was the opposite of anything I normally love to read, BUT this book will probably be in my top 5 favorite books of 2022.

If you want to big cry- heartbroken cry, laugh cry, angry cry- this book is a perfect choice for you.

If you want to sit with characters who understand how difficult it is to exist but are also trying to create something meaningful and beautiful despite the difficulties of the world- this book is for you.

If you have lost friends that were not lovers but weren't just friends and weren't just coworkers- this book is for you.

Bring the tissue box and dive in. This book was beautiful.

CW: Gun violence, homophobia, misogyny, and other things that one might have to deal with while existing in the USofA from the 1980s to the 2010s.

P.S. I read this book because I read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac back in the late 2000s.

abbyjb's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

motleybooksandtea's review

adventurous dark emotional sad medium-paced

apworden's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

unboxedjack's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

skudiklier's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Wow, this book was stunning. I was pulled in right from the start, and didn't lose interest at any point. It's absolutely gorgeous, about so many different things, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I don't spoil anything directly, but if you're worried about spoilers, you might want to skip the next three paragraphs. The final three paragraphs don't have any spoilers.

A weird thing about my experience of reading this book was that by the time I was halfway through, it felt like I'd read an entire book--like maybe it should be done already. And I want to be clear I don't mean that in a bad way, like the book felt too long or had poor pacing. It just felt like some books could have ended it there, and been interesting and relatively satisfying overall.

But because I knew I was only halfway through, I started getting worried: yes, this book had complicated relationships, and things that frustrated me, and heartbreaking tragedies. But what if something even worse was going to happen? What if this book was actually devastating, and I just didn't know it yet?

Reader, this book was devastating. My intuition was right, but I had no idea what was going to happen until it was too late. I sobbed through a large section of this book, and was teary-eyed through the whole rest of it, all the way until the end. I already liked this book, and felt it was emotionally deep and moving, but then it just absolutely gutted me.

This book was moving in so many ways. Emotionally, the characters and their relationships are so rich and real and complicated and messy. No one is perfectly likable all the time, and you're not on one character's side the whole way through. But also creatively, this book was so inspiring. I don't play a lot of video games, and know very little about making them, but I do write poetry. At one point I had to stop writing to frantically write down an idea--I'd been waiting for a breakthrough epiphany about something for over a year, and this book finally helped me crack it open, at least a little.

The quotes I pulled from this book to save for later are gorgeous, and the writing is superb. I love the way the book plays with time, and how the future is so casually and distressingly referenced. In a way, it lulled me into thinking I knew what was coming, without ever revealing the worst part.

I tore my way through this book, and basically spent a whole weekend in this world. I'm so grateful to Netgalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for the chance to read and review this ARC.