Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, by Kathleen Rooney

dmpersaud's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

jolafaith_jpg's review against another edition

So charming. Madmen vibes... but if Don Draper was a woman, and less terrible and the story of it all was being told by an 80+ year old woman in the 1980s.
It’s funny and smart and Lillian (our MC) has such a great, fighting spirit!

amanda_trausch's review against another edition

This was my first Book of the Month selection. I found it to be slow at times, but the way the chapters are broken up, it's easy to just read 1 or 2 at a time. It also took me a bit to get into the actual writing style or voice of the narrator, but I soon realized it was because the narrator was a writer and poet so the wordiness actually help in revealing Lillian's personality.
I think this line from the book sums it up perfectly: "So many careers and fortunes are made by expecting the least and worst of people. And yet people are rarely so disappointing. The city has taught me that." Lillian finds herself interacting with so many different people who shape her life either just in that moment, for a period of time, or sometimes for her whole life. She doesn't write people off so quickly as many of us do.

the_naptime_reader's review against another edition

3.5 Stars
I didn't like this book at first. The author seemed to be throwing every big word she could in, it came across as pretentious almost, but then I kept reading. The character of Lillian grew on me and the dialogue seemed to fit the character. Speaking of which while she was based on a real person, some of it seemed highly unlikely. First of all, all the friendly New Yorkers? I'm joking, but I'm not. People from NYC would probably love this book though.

rjsthumbelina's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

suryvara's review against another edition

funny relaxing fast-paced

kateritchie's review against another edition

adventurous funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

shana629's review against another edition

What a nice way to start off the new year! This book was going to be a solid 3 star read for me but the ending bumped it up. I wish Rooney explored Lillian's depression a little further. But some of her descriptions were so spot on.

"She asked me—as a lot of my friends would ask, actually—why I hadn't told someone. Why I hadn't gone to one or another of them for help... Part of me wanted to ask why she, why they, hadn't asked me if I needed help. They surely had to have noticed. But I could not blame them— did not blame them, not really. I did what I did. No one else was responsible."

Endearing and refreshing. There really is nothing like a walk in NYC.

lhbrandes's review against another edition

adventurous funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

kcarella's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny reflective sad slow-paced