Reviews tagging Self harm

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, by Kathleen Rooney

nadletab's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective relaxing medium-paced

sammies_shelf's review

reflective slow-paced

This was a slow, meandering read inside the mind of a complex, ballsy, wise, melancholy woman named Lillian Boxfish as she takes a walk on New Year's Eve 1984. I really enjoyed the development of Lillian's character as she shares more and more of her stories, I loved her interactions with strangers as she walks through New York City, and I liked how these fed into each other. I appreciate and find very interesting the basis of Lillian on the real highest-paid woman copywriter in the world in the 1930s, who also worked for Macy's. I think the writing is lovely. This was an enjoyable book with some great, heartwarming moments and interesting stories.

Favorite quotes:

"This, I imagine, is why I love walking in the city, taking to the streets in pursuit of some spontaneous and near-arbitrary objective. If one knocks oneself out of one's routine--and in doing so knocks others gently out of theirs--then one can now and again create these momentary opportunities to be better than one is."

"I am proud that I fought so hard against the world, relieved that I made my fragile truce with it. I can greet it now, from time to time, as it really is."

issyjanejane's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring reflective slow-paced

izzyf16's review

challenging emotional reflective sad slow-paced

rezelazny's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring medium-paced

A wonderful romp through 1984 NYC.  I loved learning about Lillian, her history, her accomplishments and her love of the city is magnificent.  It so makes me yearn for a walk around NYC.  The history of the city makes this book so enjoyable.  Lillian herself is amazing, but the city in which she calls home is just as an important character.