The Many Deaths of Laila Starr by Ram V

nettles's review

Really loose and cool art style, a beautiful color pallet and setting. One chapter is narrated by a sentient cigarette. Imperfect script but overall a fun read

electric_cantaloupe16's review

emotional informative reflective relaxing medium-paced

I really enjoy media that discusses death in this way. Cause it’s so ritualistic and culturaly resonant and I really enjoy the way the book tackles this throughout the story. I also really enjoyed the time jump format I thought it was really cool to see both of these characters developing off one another like a see- saw in this balancing act. Definitely enjoyed it a lot

laurebzrd's review

mysterious reflective slow-paced

mourn's review

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

tomene's review

fast-paced

adoto's review

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

This was a beautiful essay on the miracle of living. I just wish it had gone a bit deeper — I know it’s capable of it.

stella_ster's review

emotional hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

This comic is undoubtedly so beautiful! Filipe Andrade's drawings are so full of movement and the long horizontal formats of the frames give a very cinematic feel to the whole album. The colours I also loved, but the palette felt kinda repetitive. The pinks and blues and aquas kept the same level of vibrancy throughout and they were 't as much as working together with the drawings as they were, sometimes, distracting from them.

As far as the story goes, I really liked the initial idea and every one of the characters. Ram V's writing, though, at times felt like it was just rambling. Even if there was enough room for the drawings to breath, I would prefer more frugality. You don't need much text in comics, you just need enough of it to complement the drawings. And with a comic as pretty as The Many Deaths of Laila Starr, it is kinda shame feeling like just turning the pages to get to the end of the story instead of letting the reader look a bit deeper and be immersed in this colourful world.

kehleypaige's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective fast-paced

shirleylit's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring reflective fast-paced

brandonadaniels's review

Stunning. Reminded me a bit of Daytripper, and it joins the list of my all time favorites along with it. It will also evoke comparisons to Sandman and Death. It similarly uses immortal characters to tell a story of what it means to be human. Filipe Andrade is a new favorite artist. His style is similar to a few other contemporary artists who all feel very inspired by Möbius, but Filipe’s leans a bit further into surrealism and exaggeration. The colors are otherworldly warm gradients that seem to render most of the book in perpetual sunrise/set. All together an amazing book. I hope it gets reprinted in a big nice hardcover with tons of backmatter soon.