Till September Petronella, by Jean Rhys

dark slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

jessculley's review

emotional mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

susannes_pagesofcrime's review

I wasn't particularly taken with these stories, I kept feeling like I was missing something or that there were chunks that were missing, making me feel disoriented especially in the title story.

luke_sheldon's review

A beautiful and moving collection of short stories by Rhys

katerina_p98's review

I knew he was imagining a really lovely girl - all curves, curls, heart and hidden claws.

blossom33's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad

laurenpegler's review

*3.5 stars

I found some short stories I actually enjoyed reading! I also didn't mind the lack of plot, either! What is happening? I think Jean Rhys has such a lovely writing style - I can't quite place my finger on what it is - but it made me really enjoy these stories. I felt like there was a lot of hope to be found in these stories of hopeless, adrift women. Although they were kind of lost, they were not completely out of hope, which felt lovely to read. As someone who is feeling a little lost myself at the minute, I found some comfort in these.

Obviously, because they're short stories, I just don't feel like I can rate higher than a 3.5 stars. I dunno what's wrong with me, but that's the way it is. SORRY. Also, I didn't really enjoy the story 'Till September Petronella' and that was the longest, sooooo….

aislate's review