Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls (the New 52), by Scott Snyder

pdz's review

spoliersSpoilerssesSpoilers

The good:
The whole Owl design is perfect. I guess I'm a fan of the concept of owls because it feels a little more mythically proportionate to the Bat, and if they've used this animal previous in the Batman franchise, I'd never seen it before.
The single shot issue with Mr. Freeze steals the show for this whole edition, I think. It was a great glimpse into Freeze's origins. There's many creepy scenes with Freeze and his mother...
I also really enjoy stories where there's a side character who is interacting with the main force of a superhero story. For example, The Dr. Who episode "Blink" is great for many reasons, but one of the reasons it's so great is that we're going along with a character who is experiencing this force in their own world, and how they react to it. That's what we get with the off-shoot story of the girl working on the power grid. And it's great that DC included the bullying aspect into the story.
Greg Capullo's art is fantastic. The colors are great.

The bad:
I need to develop my vocabulary better for the things I like. I feel like I'm better at pointing out what was problematic with things rather than lauding the really good stuff.
In any case- The ret-conning of the whole City of Owls concept is painful. Alfred's dad had a hand in it. Bruce had an unborn baby brother. Dick was going to be tapped to be an executioner.
It's like they thought the whole Jason Todd being the Red Hood thing worked out so well that they can just keep lunging into Batman's past and slapping extra little bits on like Legos. I really did not care for any of those additions to the story.
The art difference between Capullo and the other artists here wasn't terrible, but I'm such a fan of the first style that it was jarring when we got to the issues where he wasn't the penciller.

In all, this was a decent Batman compilation with great action, mediocre dialog and mediocre plot and story. Definitely worth a read, but like I said, the gem in all of it will be the two stories near the end of the book.

therudielibrarian's review against another edition

A great new villain, wonderfully written.

reginaxgore's review against another edition

dark hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

earnshawheights's review against another edition

mysterious medium-paced

jax549's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

anthroxagorus's review against another edition

๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘ŒGood shit

silverthane's review against another edition

Another entertaining and thrilling edition in this latest Batman saga and an impressive sequel to volume one however I wish they'd stuck to the same artist throughout. some of the artwork wasn't up to scratch which seems to be a habit unique to DC Comics.

Batman is a great character and the artwork and writing for this series is great.

madisometimesreads's review

dark emotional tense fast-paced

misakattack's review against another edition

This was another awesome volume from Scott Snyder. The conclusion to the Court of Owls storyline was epic. The only misstep in this volume was the issue "Ghost in the Machine." It felt really out of place, and had some clunky, cringey dialogue. But Snyder then made up for it with "First Snow," a damn good issue that actually made Mr. Freeze pretty cool. I can't wait to keep reading more Batman New 52!

judythedreamer's review against another edition

!!!SPOILERS!!!

The first volume was a great way of opening up the reboot with an exciting new villian which seemed nearly inescapeable, but the second one doesn't end the arc with a bang. Things escalate quickly yet are never fully resolved. Also, my inner alarm that signals secret bad guys was proven right once again, though the first volume managed to distract me from my suspicions. In the end, it was the great conversations between Bruce and Dick, and Dr. Freeze's new origin story that made me enjoy this comic.