The Raven King, by Maggie Stiefvater

mockingjayreads's review against another edition

As a series this was extremely enjoyable and didn't hinge to strongly on the ending, which was sadly lackluster for me. The type of series I'd reread all except the last just to avoid disappointment.

akmargie's review against another edition

I think I went through all five stages of grief with this book. The Raven Cycle open with the promise that Gansey will die and Blue will kill her true love with a kiss. So all series as I came to know more about Blue and Gansey and Ronan and Adam, I knew those two things and was emotionally preparing, starting with denial. Stiefvater's a good writer, she can find a way out of this. No way Gansey dies.
Then anger. Stiefvater's too good a writer and now I care about these characters and all the others and they hurt my heart (oh Adam Parrish, you hurt it the most) and how dare you have bad things happen to them.
Then it was bargaining. Okay a few someones will have to die, I get it, it's that kind of story that anything less would be a cop out. So mentally I was tallying who I'd be okay to lose. (At one point I was chanting in the car, not Mr. Grey, please not Mr. Grey, DON'T YOU DARE KILL Mr. Grey!)
Then depression. I had to turn the audio off a few times because everything was terrible and its hopeless fighting against fate so why bother.
And finally acceptance. When the moment happened I was ready, not happy, but ready for it to be over, much like Gansey.
And then Stifvater happened. Unmaker, I say Stiefvater, unmaker. You undid all that emotional work in seconds rather breathlessly and brilliantly. I hate and admire you for it, you tricky asshole (said in Will Patton's perfect Ronan voice.)
I'm grateful I finished this knowing she's planning a Ronan trilogy because I do feel there are some threads that didn't get a good enough closure, whether on purpose or because, dear Lord could you fit anything else into this book without it becoming an unwieldy mess. As it is I feel like I need a few months and 2 or 3 close readings to figure out what exactly happened and how it all worked.
Unmaker, Stiefvater. Unmaker.

nostarsleftinthesky's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective relaxing sad tense slow-paced

i will never, NEVER get over this

tastas3's review against another edition

That was beautiful.

onceupon_a_bookdream's review against another edition

Omg that was such a perfect final book

ida_ree's review against another edition

The fourth and final book in the Raven Cycle series. Stiefvater does an excellent job of wrapping up almost all of her many plot and character threads. A couple of the minor ones seemed a little rushed or not completely complete, but maybe she's leaving room for more books.

The writing is compelling and clever. There are twists and turns. Revelations are made, at least one of which I would classify as breath-taking. Some characters know more than we've realized, while others know less than they thought they did. All of the story arcs converge as the hunt for Glendower nears completion. It doesn't end in a predictable way, and I have to say I like the way the author resolves the story.

A well-paced, well-plotted, satisfying conclusion.

gracealyssaa's review against another edition

no one talk to me

thecommonplace's review against another edition

I often feel like the final book in a series is generally the weakest but that is, by far, not the case with The Raven King. It was a wonderful, sorta bittersweet, ending to an absolutely amazing story.

sartzer's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

jo_stranger's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Me tomó mucho valor terminar este libro y no porque fuera malo sino porque no quería que terminara. Abandoné el libro un tiempo porque ya había llegado al punto del final que te "tienes" que terminar el libro. Y cuando finalmente lo hice, estuve muy satisfecho, fue realista y fantástico, doloroso y dudoso. Me encanta el trabajo de Maggie y es muy difícil ser objetivx, pero ahora leo con más ¿"madurez"? Y sigo enamoradx de su manera de contar historias.