La guerra di Catherine by Julia Billet

peregrinecathonic11's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

elyana's review against another edition

Une jolie BD sur une jeune photographe juive au temps de la seconde guerre

re_oanslay's review against another edition

The story was incredible but the art style wasn’t for me - which is okay. I’d be interested in picking up the original novel and seeing how they differ.

basilbasil's review against another edition

Charming but also poignant story about a Jewish girl's experience in WWII France. Part coming of age, part imagined biography, part reflection on the impact art can have in dark times.

lizaroo71's review against another edition

Interesting that I just finished [b:A Thread of Grace|16047|A Thread of Grace|Mary Doria Russell|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1386923923l/16047._SY75_.jpg|882031] which deals with Jewish families helped out by people in the Italian countryside. This is about WWII, but the setting is France. The author's mother was a hidden child during this time period. This meant her mother was moved from place to place as the war raged on.

The title character, Catherine, is at a school that is forward thinking in its approach to teaching. As the Germans draw near, the Jewish children are given new names and fake documents to protect them from the Nazi regime. Catherine finds peace behind the camera. It is her photography that becomes her stabilizer. Catherine documents her move from city to city and family to family thus helping others to understand the peril many of these children faced.

I like the format and I like the drawings, but the story itself feels surface level. It is based on a book, so I may pick that up at some point. I believe this is aimed at middle grade readers, so that may explain condensing the story to manageable bites.

rdyourbookcase's review against another edition

I enjoyed Catherine's War. The art and the story were both excellent. I enjoyed Catherine's interest in photography, which I think really added to the story. Also, the ending was good. However, I found myself comparing it to White Bird by RJ Palacio (which I liked better.)

bibliobrittish's review against another edition

A young girl with a camera on the cover = picking this off the shelf without thinking. I was not disappointed. If a picture tells a thousand words, imagine what a book of illustrated pictures could tell and you'll get a sense for the power of this graphic novel. Catherine's War is a testament to true courage, resistance, and survival. And it's beautifully illustrated to boot.

mdbbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

endemictoearth's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional sad medium-paced

procrasreader's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced