cecilie_who_reads's review against another edition

There is interesting information about an effed-up family in this book.
However, Mary herself is partly too involved, partly still too privilege blind. First, the story would be more interesting had thee material been given to someone not part of the family, so that the reader could decide on what emotional response they found appropriate without having it thrust on them. Secondly, the way too much money are held up against way too much money is secondhand embarrassing at times.
I couldn't finish the book, but I recommend it for skimming to see the strange perspective it represents, and then probably reading the summary which is also for sale. Probably a better use of your time.

strawbs's review against another edition

Nothing surprising, just despicable, but what happened to Freddy was so very sad.

adrikav's review against another edition

While well written, it was more like a long editorial piece rather than more insight about the man himself. It had information that I didn’t know about his life and paints Trump as a person, not the media character he often comes across as. However, I didn’t feel like I learned much from it.

verumsolum's review against another edition

I’m glad I read this book to try to answer “Why” for so much of this President, but I am equally glad it is finished. Especially as I do most of my non-fiction reading just before I go to sleep.

As for the “Why” questions, the answers only go so far. Which, I guess, is true of any person’s “Why” answers. But in this particular case, I wanted more, felt I needed more. The “more” I want may not exist. But it wasn’t here.

It is not a bad book, but if I’m going to poke around this president for a couple of hundred pages, I want more than that; I want greatness. Because something needs to compensate for the book’s subject

chaotic_bibliophile's review

Holy shit this family is so toxic. It really shows how generational trauma can cause so much damage and pain. I do wish she had something but I also understand that having a journal isn't for everyone. this is definitely worth picking up, would recommend

elmoore's review

informative

bwluvs2read's review

It was very interesting reading about 45's past and upbringing. It really also just made me sad. How awful to be a person so devoid of love and empathy and literally raised to be that way.

brittreader's review

Wow. Just wow.

sandra_b's review against another edition

Not much of a surprise in what most of the media has portrayed up to this point. Interesting coming from a clinical psychologist albeit from a member of the Trump family (Donald Trump’s only niece). This book seems to portray Mary L. Trump’s opinion of why he became who he is from his family’s evolution.

Mary’s at least partial reasoning for writing the book today is to appeal to readers to take the time to look at the entire picture and persuade them to not support Donald Trump to be elected for a second term, “..it would be the end of American democracy.” She took it upon herself to write this because the majority of family members “will remain silent out of loyalty or fear.” I don’t know if this book would persuade swing voters to not support Donald Trump for re-election, thus my 3 star rating.

Each reader will need to decide if Mary’s objectivity remains despite being a trained clinical psychologist; she is a family member who feels her very family helped destroy her father due to his siblings complicity, silence and inaction, stated in the prologue.

I will not divulge further about this book as I prefer to keep an unbiased review. This was a short time commitment to read that kept my interest the majority of the time. Mary does well with her narration in the book’s audio version.

bomba_erudita's review