Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck

greekyogurt's review

challenging dark funny medium-paced

s0ph__ie's review against another edition

I get that people think that this book is a classic and iconic book of its era, but I studied it at school and that really made me bored of it.
I think possibly if I had read it in my own time I may have enjoyed it a little more because I would have been able to read it at my own pace with my own interpretations.
I also think I didn't enjoy this book because its really not my genre.

slowestreader's review

It was okay..... Just okay

janevala's review

challenging sad medium-paced

plaflish's review

dark medium-paced

tanetane's review

I did NOT see that ending coming, I mean, it was so unexpected that it almost seemed untrue to what I'd read so far. Other than that, Of Mice and Men was a pretty great little book. I don't know why it took me so long to pick up some Steinbeck. Really want to read more by him soon!

noelle_ellingsen's review

dark emotional sad fast-paced

ameliie's review

dark emotional reflective sad fast-paced

zenjen's review

I read this book in High School and enjoyed it. It was an emotional read, and broke my heart when the dog died. I don't remember all of the details but it was one book I did enjoy reading during school.

ailed's review

Steinbeck's elegant and sharp prose spellbound me from the first paragraph. It is such a poignant and beautiful book. And a magnificent study of loneliness and dreams.

George and Lenny immediately became real people in my mind. I could easily picture their reactions. Their dynamic is so interesting. Lenny's ingenuity and forgetfulness are charming, contrasting brilliantly with George's gruffness, which hides sensitivity and vulnerability underneath.

All the character's voices ring with authenticity and reveal human nature with stunning lucidity. They were all outliers wanting a little piece of Heaven on Earth. Their dream was so simple and yet unattainable.