Beauty's Release, by Anne Rice, A.N. Roquelaure

chulis's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

irania's review against another edition

SegĂșn le da un final feliz despuĂ©s de tanto, sobajamiento assggghhh lo odie

edwindies's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

chrimsonfyre's review against another edition

Another book that makes you blush while listening to it at work. I enjoyed how different things were for the slaves in the new world. Even though they are still slaves and were kidnapped to this new land, it almost seems they were more gentle on them, even if treated as animals. When the kingdom comes looking for them, they are all sad and do not want to leave their new home. I'm curious to know more of what will happen with Beauty now that her life has drastically changed again. I will have to continue with the story to know more.

rabbitreads's review against another edition

fast-paced

fatallysassy's review against another edition

More of the same, less brutality, more creativity in terms of the BDSM master/slave role with a happy ending.

mothma's review against another edition

dark

lenehall's review against another edition

I'm a little sad to see this trilogy is over. It was a steamy little diversion for me the past few weeks, and I'll miss it. The 3rd book is not as delicious as the first, but I am satisfied with the ending. Happily ever after is different for everyone; Beauty's happens to include being whipped and dominated. Far be it for my incurable hopeless romantic streak to argue. Apparently, I still love it when the princess gets her king, nipple clamps and all. I saw the Beauty/Laurent connection a mile away, but I didn't care that it was predictable. That's the great thing about fiction; the characters really are made for each other.

I'll admit that I skipped several pages of Laurent's pony time. It just got to be more contortion, more stuff shoved up his butt, more harnesses, blah blah blah...boring. And AGAIN there was the repetitive use of the word 'ignominious/ignominy'! Here are a few other options, Mz. Rice: opprobrious, shameful, degrading, baseness, humiliation, mortifying, disgraceful, perverse. Please, for the love of god, pick one.

Erotica aside, this series has been an interesting lens through which to view power structures in romantic relationships and larger social structures. I find myself having more understanding for the 'weaker' people I know; allowing oneself to surrender power to others can give strength and control to the one who strives instead to master him/herself. That may be a basic dynamic of BDSM, and no great revelation to other people, but I have enjoyed the reminder that not every relationship has to work the way I like mine to work. That said, I pity the fool who ever hands me a lash...

shinyfox's review against another edition

The series seemed to get better but then it plummeted with this book. The only reason I read this was because I hate to leave series unfinished and I had been given the book. Everything was topsy turvey, from being kidnapped by the sultan to being kidnapped /from/ the sultan. Everything was too farfetched and the sex was horribly written, very bad taste. I skimmed a lot of the book because, by the third book, there are only so many ways to write a spanking scene before they get tedious. Not to mention the entire book switched from first to third person views and drove me nuts. Stick to one or another, don't flip flop, it made it even harder to read.

I know that this is supposed to be 'erotica' but I just don't see it. With the amount of Stockholm syndrome going on and the fact that I'm pretty sure the characters are not even 18, it's more like a horror story.

serena_dawn's review against another edition

Well, well, it's happily ever after after all.

;)