Gemina by Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

sandeeisreading's review against another edition

"Patience and Silence had one beautiful daughter. And her name was Vengeance."

RATING: 5 BILLION STARLIGHT FOR GEMINA

How can you not love a book like this?

Illuminae has been one of my favorite reads from last year. I became obsessed with the format on how it was written and how the story was told. It's unusually good. I'm the type of person who prefer linear storytelling rather than jumping timelines and POVs. I didn't bother me as much here. I was too entertained with all the illustrations, casefiles, and all the weirdness in this book, that I completely forgot I wasn't reading a normally formatted book.

I loved Gemina as much as I loved Illuminae, if not a tiny bit more. I felt that Gemina had more action than Illuminae, which was fine. At first, I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to connect with the characters because of that, but boy was I wrong. I am in love with the new characters introduced in Gemina.

Before I get into more details about this, let's get on with the review shall we?

THINGS TO EXPECT FROM GEMINA

• An invasion

• Tons of shooting and killing

• A kickass male and female character

• Time… not spoiling.

• Cameos from Illuminae

• AIDAN - yes! He is back!

MEET THE CHARACTERS

• Hannah Donnelly - She's one of those characters who will grow on you as you read further into the book. At first, I thought she was just this rich spoiled girl who has everything, but as the story progress, you'll see how everything is slowly taken away from her and how she reacts to it. She is definitely one of the strongest female heroine I have ever read.

• Nik Malikov - Tattooed, hot, dangerous, and a complete sweetheart. Don't let the tattoos fool you. Nik is such a sweet human being. At first, I was anti-Nik, but well, ships sometimes do change.

• Jackson Merrick - Let's just say he's the guy I used to date but suddenly realized there was someone else for me. I LOVED Jackson until… Yeah. No spoilers from me.

• Ella - She is Nik's cousin who is kickass without any literal ass kicking. She is a supercomputer genius. Hacking is her deal. She's great!

• Kady and Ezra - If you have read Illuminae, then you know who they are. They’re not in the book for a long time, but they are - that's what matters.

THOUGHTS ABOUT GEMINA:

• I loved all the characters in this book, including the ones that made an appearance from the first one. They are all still pretty much three dimensional. None of them were cardboard cutouts. Their personality shines through individually. While, I love the personalities these character have, I do feel a bit disconnected from them, unlike with Kady and Ezra from the first book. I don't know why, but maybe it was because Kady and Ezra were thrown into this situation without any training of some sort, which is why I was more worried for them than for Nik and Hannah. Hannah has been trained by her dad to kickbutt, Nik was a member of a gang that deals drugs, just basing on that, you can already tell that Hannah and Nik are at an advantage already. It made me care less for them.

• The action and the suspense were everywhere. Gemina is way more action-packed than Illuminae for sure. Like 10x more. It made my heart pound a couple of times because each scene gets the characters a bit closer to being dead.

• The plot twists are insane. Especially when they revealed what was really going on and why certain things happened - MINDBLOWN! If a book could literally do this to your brain, my brain would probably be scattered all over the floor because that's how much it messed with my brain. Everything that happened, caught me by surprise, most especially that something that involves someone who I, sort-of, formed an attachment to.

• Can we just talk about the illustrations??? Marie Lu, you are wonderful. Yes. Marie Lu did the art and it's awesome!

• AIDAN. <3 He was one of my favorite things from the first book, and I'm so excited to find that he also made an appearance on here. I thought I was going to miss him forever.

• While I do like Hannah, sometimes, she sounds a lot like Kady.

• Let's get to the big elephant in the room: Did I ship Hannah and Nik more than I did Kady and Ezra? To be honest, I give a slight edge to Kady and Ezra because right off the bat, you already know that they are together and want to keep each other safe. This isn't the case for Hannah and Nik. Hannah was already in a relationship with someone, so when the romantic interest shifts from one to another, it bothered me a little bit. But that isn't to say that Nik was not a good romantic interest - he is. I just didn't like the way their relationship moved from one place to another. They do have wonderful chemisty though, I'll give them that.

• JACKSON. *sad face inserted here* no spoilers from me, but he really made me sad.

• There were a few ex-machina moments sprinkled within this book. But to be honest, I didn't really mind.

• I loved Hannah's relationship with her dad. They have the type of relationship that you rarely get in YA books. Something did happen to her dad though, which led me really heartbroken. (no spoilers from me)

• Of course, this book would end up with a huge cliffhanger. You should not be surprised because I definitely wasn't.

• Do you like those creatures from the Alien movies? If you do, then you'd probably enjoy these creepy crawlies that made an appearance in this book. I didn't though. I could do without them.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

What else can I say? I loved this. I thought the plot was great. The sequences of events made sense. I thought the development of both our main characters were pretty much on point.  This book, despite its unique format, made you care about the characters and root for them. You want them to all get out of Heimdal alive. Though, not all of them did - just saying.

I loved Illuminae. I loved Gemina. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love the next book they'll release on this series.

nightshade_novels's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

onlinetomato720's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

assassinsreader's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Stressful.

nkrepetto's review against another edition

alltoomars's review

fast-paced

nicolemhewitt's review against another edition

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This book was amazing! Even better than the first book, in my opinion. It focused on Hanna and Nik, who are on the Jump Station Heimdall, where the Hypatia is headed. Bei Tech is still trying to cover its tracks—the easiest way to do that is to get rid of everyone who knows anything. Which includes everyone on the Hypatia—people on Heimdall are mostly collateral damage. Add in some deadly, four-headed alien space snakes and you have quite a sticky situation for our heroes!! If you loved Illuminae, you won’t be disappointed.

I actually connected to the characters a bit more in this one—even though it was told in the same style, I feel like Kaufman and Kristoff managed to convey these characters’ emotions more somehow. Hanna starts out seeming like a spoiled rich girl, but as the book goes on she shows her true colors. Nik is the boy from “the wrong side of the space station.” A true bad boy with a heart of gold. (I’m a sucker for those.) I especially loved Ella, Nik’s tech genius cousin who’s in a wheelchair.

Every minute of this book was exciting, and of course, the format was incredible! Can’t wait to get my hands on a finished copy! I easily give it 5/5 Stars. This series remains an all-time Favorite!

***Disclosure: This book was provided by the publisher via #BEA16 in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***

lindetiel's review against another edition

Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I have listened to the book as an audible production, and it has given the story so much depth. I was worried at first - that knowing the format of the book - it will be difficult to convey it via an audiobook. The full cast of voice actors, the sound - it made the story come to life.

It is undoubtedly as nerve-wracking and edge-of-the-seat type of a novel, as its predecessor.

Cannot recommend this series enough.

lamom77's review

The 2nd book in this series was just as wonderful as the first! Wow, that ending, I want more now! I was planning on holding off on the 3rd book until it came out in paperback (to match my copies of 1 and 2), but I don't think I can wait that long now!