The Midnight Lie, by Marie Rutkoski

adventurous medium-paced

egoplen7's review

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

literallymya's review

Really top-notch YA fantasy/romance.

justmereadinghere's review

I didn't enjoy anything; I'm pretty sure I rushed through this without pausing for a second to whine over the stupidity of all the characters. It wasn't my cup of tea, but if you liked it, I'm glad you do!!

I was provided with an ARC of the sequel and I'm debating on whether to reread this (and hurt my brain in the process) just so my review won't be based on my hatred for the first book.

titterglitty's review

I’m on the fence about whether this is a 3.5 or a 4, but either way it was a good read. I noticed a lot of reviews saying this book hurt and honestly they’re not wrong. Moreso than the ending (which tbh feels like a great metaphor for the potential effects of abuse and trauma—shutting down, growing cold, maybe even perpetuating a cycle), I felt really pained by the way Nirrim responds to all of the abuse and violence she faces. It hit really close to home, especially her experiences with comphet. I’ve been reading a lot of wlw books that are blissfully free of comphet, homophobia and patriarchal violence/coercion so this was a rough pivot, but it really spoke to me. I think the author handles it well, but it definitely holds some potential to be triggering so if you’re sensitive to themes like sexual coercion, abusive families, etc. you should be aware of that going in. It didn’t make the book less enjoyable but it hurt my heart a little bit.

Okay, now the fun stuff. The beginning of this book was a little slow to grab me but once Sid entered the story I couldn’t put it down and finished it in an afternoon. The romance was a fabulous slow burn and all the banter was really fun. Sid has aggressively Gemini energy and I just loved her so much. This really felt like a lesbian book moreso than a broader sapphic book (which I also love). So much of it felt really specific to the lesbian experience which is so exciting to see in a YA fantasy setting. I wish this book had been around when I was a teen.

Overall, it was really enjoyable and I’m looking forward to getting the sequel from the library in a few weeks!

emily_n106's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

kaybethbookish's review against another edition

This is a story that for me had writing that tried too hard to be lyrical and whimsical, combined with an LGBT story that felt inorganic and forced, but also had some brilliant dialogue and approached the subject of abuse and manipulation in a relatable and sensitive way.

My biggest issue with the story was how quickly Nirrim's opinion changed towards Sid. One minute, she thinks Sid is a male and is disgusted by 'him', but within a moment of finding out Sid is female, she suddenly has urges and forbidden feelings towards her. The shift was so fast that it left me unable to believe in the relationship throughout the book, even though I really wanted to.

I also struggled with the storyline. There were elements within that had beautiful descriptions, and moments of real intrigue, but for the most part, I found myself reading the story and wondering when things were actually going to start happening. By the end of the book, I was still unsure what the main plot is actually about and what the sequel would entail.

I wanted to like this series, however, despite the snippets of great writing, I just couldn't bring myself to want to continue the story on.

tacomarae's review

I am really interested in where this series will go. The world is very well developed and it has fascinating characters.

emily_2002's review

adventurous challenging mysterious reflective fast-paced

agirlwhoreads's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced