Deryni Checkmate, by Katherine Kurtz

verumsolum's review against another edition

3.5 stars, I think. I don't know that I can put my finger on why I am liking them, and that bothers me a bit. But the world of this series is interesting and… it is good for me, at this point, seeing religious people who aren't afraid to stand up against religious authorities with unsupportable opinions, decisions, and dictates.

I really wish that there were more women in powerful roles, but… the book was written decades ago and its setting is centuries older. I wonder whether, even in the year since I first read the previous book in this series, I have changed in ways that let this book speak to me more than it would have before. (And I am glad that I decided to re-read the first book, before starting this one. It was good to remind myself of the setting and some of the characters before I moved on to this book.

winters's review against another edition

adventurous sad fast-paced

bbeetle's review against another edition

saphirablue's review against another edition

Well, I don't know if it's the book or me but I kind of didn't like it. A bit.

Maybe it's because the book has some plots/tropes that I don't really care about - the jealous character that just has to have an other character who is in love with someone else and the jealous one not only kills the one they love but the other lover too; the church being so awfully evil (I see enough of that in RL (no matter which religion/church) that I'm not that fond of it showing up in my books); the character that tries to eradicate a people to whom they (unknowingly) belong themselves - or it's because the book follows mostly Duncan and Morgan (who I really like, though) instead of Kelson but I really couldn't get into this book (it also didn't help that I slept badly and therefore have been tired and a bit cranky while reading the book).

I'm still going to read the next book because despite all - I really like the characters, especially Kelson, and I want to see how the story goes on because it's interesting.

suzjustsuz's review against another edition

2.5 stars

I'm kinda pushing myself through the church politics, and I do not like the endings of these books. I'm hopeful that the long arc will be completed in book 3 because right now I'm not feeling the open issues.

conalo's review against another edition

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading this series and the audiobook version really does justice to the story being told. One of the classics of the epic fantasy genre!!!!

4.5 for a great story. Recommended for all fantasy fans.