Our Only World: Ten Essays, by Wendell Berry

alltheradreads's review

I love Wendell Berry. I read his words and it's like I'm seeing the world in a way that is how God intended it to be-- where we are good stewards of this planet, where our priorities are into order, where we care for ourselves and all creation well, and where things are beautiful and thriving. These essays are great ones, and they're a much needed reminder to be intentional about how I live and to advocate for this one and only world we have around us. Grateful for these words, and for the gentle boldness of Berry to share them.

hey_sarnold's review

challenging informative inspiring medium-paced

meganzc's review

Beautiful and wise, always thought-provoking. I started a "Forest Conversation" skeptical that I could be drawn into an essay on forest management. I ended it with an ache for more. I want to read everything this man has written. I can't wait to read more.

shannon26's review

challenging informative slow-paced

johnschu's review against another edition

Brilliant and accessible essays about energy, agriculture, land preservation, and other urgent matters that face "our only world." It was sobering and enlightening. I loved this collection.

dylanblok's review

I'm reading through Lithub's 365 Books to Start Your Climate Change Library, a reading list in four sections (Classics, Science, Fiction & Poetry, and Ideas). This book is #5 of Part 4: The Ideas and #13 overall.

Re-read from a couple years ago.
Worth reading for the essay on forestry practices ("worst-first single tree selection"), which I would not peg as being particular engaging based on a synopsis, but it kinda blew my mind when I read it the first time through. It's interesting to see America through Berry's worldview, which I would describe primarily as pro-family/community & anti-violence, with 'violence' including both violence against people and against the earth.

yarbs's review

His essays on trees and rivers were fascinating and well written. When he got into eliminating annual crops and going to perennial grazing, he lost me and frankly ignores the population growth and the need to feed the world. Wether we feed our vehicles is another issue.

odinh's review

I don't always agree with Wendell but I find that I can always respect him. He's one of those rare people who, while believing many things quite in contrary to me, could probably work quite happily alongside me in order to do things in common good. This essay collection tackles a variety of ecological and social issues in an astute manner not often seen in the liberal/progressive or the conservative spheres (and that alone should make it worth the time).

kevreads's review