At Risk by Alice Hoffman

imalwayswrite's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

shiloniz's review against another edition

This is the saddest damn book I have ever read, that is probably why I am rating it a 3, my heart is to broken to give it the stars it most likely deserves.

shiloniz's review against another edition

As I go through my rereads of all of Alice's book by publication date I find myself appreciating some books more than I did the first round. This is one of those. The ending was still abrupt, but this time around I find it oddly perfect whereas last time I felt jyped out of a resolution. There is no resolution for a story like this.

emjay2021's review against another edition

When I read this shortly after it came out, I thought this was good, if sombre. It would most likely read as fairly dated now.

casey_h's review against another edition

Only for Alice Hoffman will I willingly read a book I know will absolutely destroy me

aayla_xiaan's review against another edition

Here's a tip: get out your handkerchiefs!

At risk has the same vibe as Schimmit's books.
The plot explores very hard topics but well executed.

I cried so hard

cindypager's review against another edition

Some would say this story is dated - it's back near the start of the AIDS crisis.
Still, Alice Hoffman brings us inside this family as they help their daughter navigate this illness.

attytheresa's review against another edition

Heartbreaking story from the late 1980s about a normal everyday middle class family who one day learn their beautiful gifted 11 year old daughter, Amanda, has AIDS from a tainted blood transfusion given 5 years earlier. It is the story of the devastation the diagnosis wrecks in its wake on not just Amanda, but on her family, friends, and community. It leads us to the beginning of healing. Amanda's own brave acceptance infuses those closest to her with the ability to move forward with their lives, closing some of the fissures that her diagnosis created.

This is beautifully, tautly written. It is a really good thing I had restocked my tissue supply.

loisagrimm's review against another edition

Another book I read in high school. This story is about a little girl who has HIV - she is approximately 11 years old and an aspiring gymnast. It had a profound affect on me. Another one that I am planning to re-read.

felinity's review

In some ways this feels dated, but in others it takes me very vividly back to the paranoia and fear of the late 80s and early 90s. The strength is in the people and their very individual reactions: the way they can draw together or pull themselves apart, the sacrifices that are made, and the friendships that are changed.

SpoilerIt's not depressingly sad, nor does it dwell on all the things Amanda can't, or won't, do, instead just touching on them briefly. And I think it's more powerful for that.