Yolk, by Mary H.K. Choi

giucrisostomo's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

eoverbeckk's review

emotional sad tense medium-paced

Woah. I have no words for this book. I just finished it and I am in a state of shock. The characters are so terrifyingly relatable that sometimes Jayne would say something that just made me stop reading because I had felt that exact same way. This is the most realistic representation of 2 sisters relationship I love this book. New all time favorite.

bookymoo's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

paiges_books's review against another edition

"I'm filled with absolute pity for every single mirror version of me, all those times before, the youngest ones making me saddest of all. Watching myself have compassion for me in the absence of anyone else makes me cry harder."

I feel like there's a strong division between people who read Choi's books - they either love them or hate them, I've hardly seen any neutral reactions. Yolk is probably my favorite of her works that I've read so far.

I think what draws me to her stories the most is how she's able to create characters that are so flawed and easily hateable because they're an accumulation of what we hate about ourselves; we say the wrong thing, we make the wrong choice, we self-destruct ourselves or our relationships, we make the same dissapointing choices yet are shocked when the same unfulfilling outcome repeats itself. When reading, it feels at times like you're hate-listening to a toxic best friend's problems - and yet, when these characters experience kindness and connection from others in their respective stories, it feels like a gentle balm to the soul, to those shadow parts of ourselves that are reflected in what's so infuriating to us about them.

Yolk is one of those books - and Jayne one of those characters - that reminds you of all of the undesireable and ugly parts of yourself, but also that those parts of you can never be healed or overcome unless they're brought to the light. Yolk is raw, real, and vulnerable - it's uncomfortable and exposing. It's what I love about Choi's writing. It elicited so many strong reactions and emotions out of me.

If you have an eating disorder or a history of disordered eating, this will be a triggering read for you. It's clearing stated in the beginning of the book, but I wanted to reiterate it again as well.

aimi2012's review against another edition

mmbc's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful tense slow-paced

Incredibly immersive - the world building was visceral. The flaws of the main character are the entire point of the book which can be painful at times. Deals with heavy subject matter, but there are moments of levity -  I laughed out loud at the witty one liners. Some plot lines felt clumsy which knocks down a star but overall beautiful writing to illustrate complicated family dynamics and Korean-American women coming of age.

erika_archie's review against another edition

emotional slow-paced

ohemgeeshlee's review against another edition

New favorite book of 2021, perhaps??

really91's review against another edition

dark emotional funny medium-paced

izzrose's review

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced