Little Eve, by Catriona Ward

ephemerawoman's review against another edition

Once again Ward has written an amazing, breathtaking, beautiful and dark novel. Like her debut Rawblood, this pulled me in close and wouldn’t let me go until I’d finished it. If you loved Rawblood, you’ll love this, if We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a fave, then I think this too will hit that sweet spot. Little Eve shows that her debut was no fluke.

louiseh87's review against another edition

slow-paced

charlottesometimes's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

winsomefish's review

I plan to write more in the future but shortly: I will read anything Catriona Ward privileges the world by writing. That's all for now.

hauntedtesty's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad slow-paced

tricia's review against another edition

Atmospheric. Enthralling. Harrowing. I could hardly stop reading but had to slow down and savour the beautiful, rich prose.

Catriona Ward never misses.

laurencarter's review against another edition

*3.5*

some of the story was lost on me as the narrator is SO soft spoken

ariereads's review against another edition

This one is the pure definition of a slow burner - and so, so worth that first effort.

I probably read those first few pages five times over twice as many days, never progressing past the same lines (Dinah writes a letter, father's room lies empty, books wait unread, visit butcher's shop, rinse and repeat)

It took a weekend away with no other unread books around to push past those pages into the most unsettling read I've found in a long time. Eerie creepy dark and twistytwistytwisty - you can't trust anyone or anything here and it's pretty damn near perfect.

A slinking shadowed beauty of a thing, it'll haunt me for a good while yet
(and on that note: when can I read more of this author please, I don't think I could wait till winter when the chill will hit a little too close to home)

willasifglass's review against another edition

Haunting and mysterious. Pacing was off.

cardinalreel's review against another edition

I Loved this book. Creepy and enthralling, I immediately wanted to read it again to make sure I caught all the details! The setting was perfect, and the brief time jumps were really effective. I love the author's style of writing, and the characters were complex and other-worldly, while still ultimately human and flawed. A top horror read!