Summer of '69, by Elin Hilderbrand

zandriasenft's review against another edition

Elin’s best yet! We follow the Levin family through the summer of ‘69.

lisat90's review against another edition

A light chick-lit summer read. The storyline covered a variety of topics: feminism, abortions being illegal, sexual assault, domestic violence, racism, suicide, mental health, the moon landing, the war. However, I felt the plot skimmed along with these issues, without going in-depth. The "secrets" were predictable and blatantly hinted at throughout the story. However, the book was enjoyable for light summer reading.

cmgonsalves's review against another edition

2.75-- I wanted to love this book, but it was not for me. it was much longer than it needed to be, and the formatting was strange (the book jumped from povs, which I like, but it would go from one plot to another and then back to before the first plot even happened, so it was hard to know when everything was actually going on). I couldn't connect or really even sympathize with many of the characters, and their conflicts were nothing new.

kbreit11's review

mrs_hicks's review against another edition

As usual I loved this new novel by Elin Hildebrand. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was I felt the ending needed more. I felt like it came to a sudden halt. But other than that I loved it. Thank you to Little Brown and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

cinderellasbookshelf's review against another edition

A perfect book to read at summer’s end. I want to say it was a light read with some heavy undertones, but all in all what I liked a lot about this book was that it was nostalgic. It’s hard to believe that 1969 was 50 years ago, that we forget how momentous that summer was. Getting to experience it with members of the Whalen-Levin family in Nantucket felt like traveling back in time.

thathappyreader's review against another edition

The Summer of “69 is the story of the Levin family during the year 1969 - one of the most historic years in U.S. history. Interestingly, it is also the summer in which Hilderbrand and her twin brother were born. This is the author’s first historic novel and hopefully will not be her last.

The story is narrated from the point of view of several members of the family and takes place in the author’s home of Nantucket. For Jessie, the summer is the one she turns 13 and discovers love for the first time. For Kirby, it was a summer of independence, taking time away from the family to discover Martha’s Vineyard and all that community had to offer. The oldest sister Blair is pregnant with twins and questioning whether to stay in her marriage. Tiger, the only son, is drafted and sent to Vietnam. Kate, their mother, is riddled with anxiety over the safety of Tiger and carries a secret which she must disclose.

I loved this book. I remember 1969 and the significance of this time in history. Hilderbrand approaches this book with the historical significance it deserves. This is sure to be one of my favourite books of the summer, and furthermore, for 2019.

runnergurl39's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful mysterious relaxing sad medium-paced

kiercarnahan's review against another edition

It's not Nantucket but this view will have to do. I just binged Summer of '69 by the pool today. What another wonderful read by one of my go-to authors. This one was unique in all the best ways. It covered a little bit of everything from the moon landing to civil rights. This should be on your must-read list for summer!

itsy719's review against another edition